COB LED 3rd Brake/Cargo Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Just sharing a mod. I haven't tried any aftermarket 3rd brake lights/cargo lights, but I wasted a whole bunch of time COBbling (get it?) COB lights behind the factory 3rd brake light/cargo lens.

You must be registered for see images attach

Comparison shot incandescent vs. LED board. Operating at full voltage, truck running. I know cameras kind of have a bias for brightness when it comes to taking shots like this, but there's still a considerable difference to the naked eye.

This mod is inexpensive to try if someone else would like to pursue it. The factory cargo lights work okay, but most retrofit LED bulbs won't help. Factory third brake light/cargo light combos rely heavily on the filament of the bulb itself and the optics of the factory lens...There are no reflectors.

The COB boards I bought don't have much cooling and supposedly run hot. So I trimmed down some aluminum angle from the hardware store. Hoping this will somewhat act like a heatsink/spreader.

Had to have a way to affix it inside the housing, and I wanted it to be easily removable if this fails. I don't know the specs on these boards and they claim to run at automotive 12V as-is. Although they are bright, I'm not sure how well they're distributing the current load, heat, etc. compared to longevity as designed.

I may reduce the voltage for greater life, as operating voltages while running exceed 14 volts much of the time. This will lose a little brightness, but I'd like the end result to last.

Used a common wedge bulb adapter, these were actually included with these little boards for adapting to interior lights.

I used a machine screw and tapped the aluminum angle. I quickly discovered there's little to no room above that plastic to the outer lens. I didn't want to head back to the store to buy countersink machine screws, so I just ground the plastic out to utilize what I already had laying around. -This part can be easily done better!

Ta-da!

I will unfortunately have to redo one side because the LED board is touching the lens on reinstallation. I was trying to have airspace on all sides to avoid heat related issues. The end result is a nice cargo light/flood light/work light. Although not frequently used, I'll be thrilled if it lasts.

Happy truckin'!