When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL, whatever. I'm barely on the throttle.

BTW, RPM and speed are fixed. It doesn't matter how much torque you make. 2k rpms in a certain gear is always the same speed.

Also, I totally agree about the torque numbers. The heads and cam hurt low end torque, so I'm making less than a stock 5.3 would.

That is where you are mistaking. If you are at 2,000 rpm and double the torque, you have double the HP available to move the vehicle which means more power in reserve at the same rpm, which means less downshifting with a load or quicker acceleration without downshifting or holding the gears out longer.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody will argue driveability especially with a stock cam. Nobody is arguing that an LS can't putt putt around town either. They just don't get off the line hard when asked to, and to some that is important. With a single cab, short bed, 2wd that issue is not as exacerbated.

Mine doesn't get off the line because it likes to spin the tires.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is where you are mistaking. If you are at 2,000 rpm and double the torque, you have double the HP available to move the vehicle which means more power in reserve at the same rpm, which means less downshifting with a load or quicker acceleration without downshifting or holding the gears out longer.

That's a different statement altogether.

Speed is nothing more than rpm x gearing. Change in speed is power.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case, you need new tires. My Z06 can dead hook in 1st. Of course it can also blow the tires off, but if a 5.3 in a 4000# truck is spinning it's time for decent tires.

My C5Z was spin city in 1st. Off the line spin/wheel hop, then hooked in the middle, and then spun again in the top of first.

Yes, the traction could be improved a lot in the truck. They're Eagle RSA street tires and fairly narrow.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my dad’s stock 2002 5.3 ext cab silverado with ko2s and a bad knock sensor has done better rolling burnouts than my built 355. I don’t see why a different torque curve is worth hating an entire engine family. Different beasts with different technology are going to behave differently. I agree the LS really wakes up around 2,500-3k rpm, which isn’t that high in the rev range if you ask me. Rev it a little higher and enjoy the music.