Wheel spacers + Fender flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The idea just popped into my head. I have 31" tires but they look thin because they are kinda recessed into the wheel wells. Today i stumbled upon something called "Wheel spacers", has anyone ever heard of them/used them? How do they work, do they just go in between the wheels and brake disks (whatever you call that little area where the back of the wheel bolts to the axle). If i understand the concept then maybe it would give my truck a nice wide, aggressive stance :hmm:.

Here: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Wheels-Tires/Part-Type/Wheel-Spacers/

Btw, i posted in the Brakes+Axles forum since i thought it deals with the axles and brakes in that general area.

Last edited:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have those on our 99 silverado to space the wheel away from the calipers they work fine havent had any issues

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, I would NEVER use a spacer on any of my cars for any reason. I'd rather properly spec out the tire/rim combo with appropriate offset/backspace and width from the get go. The spacers will help out your stance I guess. Small (thin) spacers pose little risk to your mechanicals. That said, it's your call. The larger/thicker spacers you use, the more torque and subsequent shear stress you put on all of your suspension components and they could/will eventually lead to premature fatigue/failure.

freeze

Reaction score
I used 1.5" spacers in the front of my 83 chevy k-10 to prevent the tires from rubbing on tie rod. They worked fine. My ball joints might have worn out faster as a result tho. I don't see a point to use them unless you need them, but thats just me.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Iv ran them without any trouble alot of people will tell you there unsafe but there fine. Im gonna order some 1.5 inch ones for my truck. It doesn't make any difference if you have a spacer or a greater offset on your wheels its the same thing.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spacers can be a problem but "adapters" should be fine. The adapter bolts to the hub and the wheel bolts to the adapter with two sets of studs. Sharing studs with a big spacer is a no no, but adapters are ok.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you call it - adapter, spacer, excessive negative offset, or rice cake or banana. Put excessive torque on those components and it will stress/shear the components leading to premature fatigue and/or failure. In most cases, nothing will happen and it's perfectly safe. In extreme cases, picture for example a theoretical spacer of several inches, combined with some harsh driving and you'll get catastrophic failure at the weakest link (often the studs).