What water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec is the water pump a long or short pump. silly question but I do not know.
Thanks Skip

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 Vortec is the water pump a long or short pump. silly question but I do not know.
Thanks Skip
Vortecs are their own type of water pump. Leg length wise, it's more like the long leg pump that the small blocks have used since the 70s. But the Vortec pump has the two bypass lines in the top of it, and a different hub because of how the fan clutch mounts.
I looked at Rock Auto and they have many brands available, but all seem to be the same style of pump. When I replaced the water pump on my Burb a few years ago, I got a brand new one from O'Reilly's. Don't remember the brand but it was lifetime warranty. That's important because I had to replace the pump in six weeks because it leaked. Also on the Vortec engine, you'll want to put Aviation Permatex on the mounting bolts since they all go into the water jacket in the block.
And since I bought the pump from my local parts store, all I had to do to get the warranty honored was taken the defective pump back to them.