What type of calipers are these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They remind me of an aftermarket caliper I saw on a late 90's Dodge Ram. Had D shaped pistons, or something along those lines. Made by ... Stillen? Not sure, as that was 11 or 12 years ago.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the markings on the steering knuckles that are on my '88 now. They came from a '92 (?) extended-cab with JB5 brakes.

@Schurkey, everyone, here's an off-topic question but it's related to the pix posted by @Schurkey above.

I've found that some K1500 replacement hubs don't have the integral seal, i.e., see attached images. Maybe that's old news to you guys, but it was a rude awakening for me.

The pictures on RockAuto's site for the Timken hub show the seal, but when I ordered them I found the seal missing.

What's the significance of the seal on that bearing, and what would the downside be without it? I have given this some thought but I want to hear what others say.

I returned the Timkens, FYI. I ordered SKFs, same problem. I finally ordered Moogs, and they had the correct seal.

My OE hubs were Timkens; the markings on them and the new Timkens appeared the same, the only difference evident to me being the missing seal.

I looked just now on RockAuto and I see they no longer have the Timken hubs listed. The SKF pictures there show "no seal".

Attachments

• Timken pictured on RA site.jpg
    Timken pictured on RA site.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Timken I received 1.jpg
    Timken I received 1.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Timken I received 2.jpg
    Timken I received 2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 23
  • Timken I received 3.jpg
    Timken I received 3.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
@Schurkey, everyone, here's an off-topic question but it's related to the pix posted by @Schurkey above.

I've found that some K1500 replacement hubs don't have the integral seal, i.e., see attached images.

Honestly, not sure. Would the "bell" of the CV shaft contact that seal? The knuckles are supposed to have a separate seal in them... at least my 8-lug does. They go in on the back side.

I kind of shy away from Moog unit-bearing hubs because I think they're Chinese.... hubs are not part of the traditional Moog line, that I'm aware of. I believe they are an effort to expand the branding. When I buy Moog suspension parts it's all US made.....my Timken hubs were/are US made, too. I've never gotten SKF becasue they don't include the ABS sensor, and at the time the added extra cost was a factor.

I wonder if it's a Covid/supply shortage.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Guess: The bearing with the rubber is a "sealed" bearing. The one with the metal cover is a "shielded" bearing.

All the dirt and road-splash should be kept out of the bearing area by the rubber seal pressed into the steering knuckle, which rides against the CV joint. So the bearing itself shouldn't have to deal with dust, moisture, etc.

Someone decided to cut some costs, substituted a shielded bearing for a sealed bearing, and you're not supposed to notice. Functionally, it's perfectly workable...

...unless that other seal fails. Or you pull the CV joint out of the hub during some service work, and a dirt-clod falls into the bearing area.

But I don't know this for certain. Just a hunch.

Alternative theory: The metal shield you're seeing is covering and protecting the rubber seal underneath. Actual design improvement.

Last edited: