What type of calipers are these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found these off a '99 Tahoe at a local PNP. I have never seen anything like them, are they an early version of SSBC? If anyone wants them, make an offer. The piston moved back easily as I wanted to make sure that they weren't seized...cheers!

Attachments

• FL caliper.jpg
    FL caliper.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 60
  • FL caliper2.jpg
    FL caliper2.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 58
  • FR caliper 2.jpg
    FR caliper 2.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 57
  • FR caliper.jpg
    FR caliper.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 59

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket calipers designed to accept OEM brake pads and mounting? I dug around on the Summit site, didn't see anything like those.

You might want to verify the casting numbers on the steering knuckles. I suppose those could be a conversion/upgrade from a newer vehicle using different knuckles, but again I don't recognize those calipers.

How much? How thick are the rotors? Those calipers would look nice on my K1500. I bet the calipers would fit into a "Large" flat-rate box, shipping shouldn't be too horrible but you'd have to drain the fluid pretty thoroughly, probably plug the fluid port, and seal 'em in plastic bags.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Those don't look like any gmt-400 pad I've ever seen. I think the calipers look very old to me, like a 60s or 70s speed part. I'm also curious about the knuckle/spindle.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those don't look like any gmt-400 pad I've ever seen. I think the calipers look very old to me, like a 60s or 70s speed part. I'm also curious about the knuckle/spindle.
They do sort of have that retro speed look to them, got to be the finned aluminum (like an old aluminum Buick brake drum!) but those torx bolts holding the caliper bodies together speaks of more recent manufacture. Interesting pieces, to be sure.

Richard

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I think those are brake calipers from a early to late 90s Corrvette.... My uncle had a 98 and Im pretty sure they looked similar to that with the fins

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Also I wouldnt advise using these brakes on a 400. look at how the rotors have scored the top of the caliper from contacting it. thats because the pads are pulling the caliper down on heavy braking causing the top of the rotor to contact the inside of the caliper. had the same issue trying to use a modified caliper mount when i did my SAS.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those pistons truly non-cylindrical or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
That's part of what makes them so appealing. I've never heard of non-cylindrical caliper pistons before. This is all-new to me.

Having no idea where those calipers came from, I similarly have no idea where a person would get rebuild kits for them. I'm good at doing no-parts rebuilds on calipers, though. And he says the pistons move freely as-is. But aluminum calipers are known for corrosion in the seal grooves.

The pistons appear to be phenolic. Phenolic pistons are WONDERFUL...when they work. They're an insulator, which keeps the heat from braking from transferring to the brake fluid. But the phenolic pistons were a seizure waiting to happen when Chrysler started using them. The big aftermarket "fix" for seized phenolic pistons was to force them out using a 2000-psi grease gun for pressure, and then rebuild the caliper with a normal steel piston.

Also I wouldnt advise using these brakes on a 400. look at how the rotors have scored the top of the caliper from contacting it. thats because the pads are pulling the caliper down on heavy braking causing the top of the rotor to contact the inside of the caliper. had the same issue trying to use a modified caliper mount when i did my SAS.
I didn't see that at first. It is something of a concern. Makes me wonder if the rotors are stock diameter, or somewhat larger. At least one rotor is slotted, but they may be a mis-matched set--the other rotor seems to be more rusty, as if one was original and one was replaced.

If the price was right, I'd be willing to try 'em and see what happens.

Last edited: