What stereo am I looking for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emccomas57

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good quality double din stereo system that has the following capabilities:

1. Has a navigation system in the stereo
2. Connects to a cell phone like an iPhone
3. Capable of displaying a backup camera image
4. Sirius/XM radio capable

Price really is not the driving factor, quality and these features are the driving factors.

OK, what stereo system am I looking for.

emccomas57

Reaction score
OK, I think I found it..

Boss BN965BLC

I also got a Metra double din dash installation kit.

This is all going into a 1992 C1500 2WD Silverado regular cab truck that has been in my friend's family since 1995. His dad bought it, then my friend got it when his dad passed away in 2001, now it is the first vehicle for his just turned 16 year old son.

Truck is undergoing a major resurrection (Not a frame off restoration, but close to it).

It is a factory 305, automatic. Truck has 170K miles, new transmission, new timing chain, new major tune up (engine is solid with great compression readings across the board).

Engine got a Holley Sniper installed with aluminum intake (because the restorer had one available cheap), new black paint (bed was removed), new weather stripping, new sliding rear window (did not have one originally), new front and rear suspension, new front disc brakes, restored original wheels, major interior refinish (to include the new stereo), new lights all around, new grill, new emblems.

It will be awesome, but it has turned out to be a chore to get all of this done.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does the double DIN install in the center or in the former Radio slot? I am not familiar with the Boss but some of the YouTube vids featuring installation of Boss Radios have not been too kind. Do you have a pic of the radio installed in a GMT 400?

I cannot see how you can fit a double DIN into the truck. Also looking at the radio on Crutchfield's website (out of stock) tells that the radio will not do phone control, which I consider one of the major reasons to change radios.

You might consider a single DIN radio installation and use a separate GPS setup that will also handle a rear camera.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cannot see how you can fit a double DIN into the truck.

This is the other big issue I see here. I felt bad about my first post providing no useful info other than bashing Boss so I went to do some shopping around and I don't believe anyone makes a double DIN dash kit for the earlier dash style. '95+ is all I see from Metra.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Idk how you'll fit it into an old style dash. But I have a pioneer 8500nex and it does everything you want and more. Couldn't ask for better.
You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk how you'll fit it into an old style dash. But I have a pioneer 8500nex and it does everything you want and more. Couldn't ask for better.

That looks great for the later trucks but the old style dash would never hold it. Nice looking job and I like the "GMC" screen. Well done.