What sort of look I want

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the differential is mounted to the bottom of the leaf springs (spring over) if you remove the differential, and mount it over the leaf springs, you eliminate axle wrap, and you drop it by the diameter of the axle at the mounting point, plus the thickness of the springs. Since the suspension hasn't changed, no new parts are required, but you'll almost certainly have to notch the frame. If the drop is too much that way, consider adding a shackle or a leaf to compensate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes true, it's called an axle flip kit. Basically you put the axle over the leaf springs and use lowering block (if needed). But U have to C notch the frame for axle clearance

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard it called that as well. How bad do you need to notch the frame for that to work? Would adding a 2" suspension lift compensate enough to avoid the work? Add-a-leaf kits are pretty cheap.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard it called that as well. How bad do you need to notch the frame for that to work? Would adding a 2" suspension lift compensate enough to avoid the work? Add-a-leaf kits are pretty cheap.
That I would not know, but if anyone else would like to chime in, let the forum know

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Dahead76

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the dually conversion. That's what I did with mine, but mine was a 3/4 ton and I had a donor truck. I'm running a 3-4 drop. 3" spindles in front and hangers and shackles in back. No c-notch. If you run a flip kit, a bolt in c-notch is a must and you will have to notch the bed support above the rearend chunk. Had to on my 97 rcsb.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to clear something up. Doing a flip kit (axle over) does NOT eliminate axle wrap. It actually has nothing to do with it.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reducing axle wrap and lowering your center of gravity are the only benefits of spring under configurations. I admit, it doesn't eliminate it, but by reducing the leverage of the axle on the leaf spring how can it not reduce it?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesnt reduce the leverage-thats my point. If you have a breaker bar on a large nut and you have the handle at 3 oclock, you will have the exact same leverage at 9 oclock. You just relocate the axle to the other side of the spring pack-same distance from the center of the spring pack. Yes, you lower the center of gravity of the TRUCK, because its overall mass is closer to the ground, but it still carries the same load because you didnt change the spring-you just relocated the axle in relation to it.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The top leaf is the one that flexes during axle wrap. Relocating the axle to be closer to the top leaf reduces said axle wrap

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again, I shouldn't have said it eliminates it. But if you think it doesn't reduce it in any way you should do some research. There's a reason that trophy trucks, Jeeps, and some high end aftermarket suspension kits use the SUA configuration. You don't have to take my word for it, maybe you'll take theirs.