Well this is gonna suck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all my front end parts are good except the lower bushings. Last winter i put new upper control arms/ball joints, wheel hubs, calipers/pads, Steering gear box, pitman arm.
Idler arm and tie rods are still tight.
Lower bushings and lower TTX ball joints are under $150. Shocks around $350.
Probably go with Bilstein 4600 since my truck is not lifted.
Holy SH*T!!! $350 for a set of shocks? Is that all four?
I know mine is getting Monroes or Gabriels for sure now.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy SH*T!!! $350 for a set of shocks? Is that all four?
I know mine is getting Monroes or Gabriels for sure now.
If you think $350!is bad for a set of shocks, try pricing out aftermarket Harley shocks!!! And that's just for 2!!!!
And judging by your name and avatar.....you know what I'm talking about!! Lol

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New 4 tube radiator, $ 150. New AC compressor+ kit $ 225. New HVAC modules 2 each. $ 70, new Fan speed resister $ 25.
Aaaannnddd, a new AC compressor bracket from Pik treasure yard. I turn my away for just three seconds and my good neighbor says " here just pry on this" , insert breaking noise here" . You, you broke it. He looks at me ,he's white as a sheet. Me , kill, kill, kill.
So the next day at treasure yard, it's a 103°, score! $ 25
But I don't have my brother in law's truck payment's, 2 year old crew cab 4x4.
The longer you have them , there will be items that wear out and need replacement .

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its 25 year old rubber man, it comes with the territory of driving these things. I always think of $300-$600 repairs on paid-off vehicles as equal to a month or two of vehicle payments that I'm avoiding.

And to answer your question, the lower control arms are not adjustable... only the uppers for alignments. You should still get an alignment because the last one was done with worn lower bushings.

My Q is $960 a month. I do regularly think of what that money could be in mods to the trucks lol

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New truck payments are more like $900-1200 per month! Unless people stretch it out so long that they will end up totally upside down.

Then add the extra insurance and tab expense...
The old rule of thumb is still true (adjusted for inflation). It states that if you spend the amount of two payments a year on a vehicle (1800) in this case. It will run forever. So for about 200 a month and in many years much less, that great truck will just keep going. That is one helluva lot better than 900 a month and climbing!

I always remind people that my '93 will haul just as much, AC is just as cold and my money stays in more fun pursuits than paying a grand a month for a brothel on wheels!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think $350!is bad for a set of shocks, try pricing out aftermarket Harley shocks!!! And that's just for 2!!!!
And judging by your name and avatar.....you know what I'm talking about!! Lol
Yeah,I just dropped $170 for the billet shocks I put on that softail I had up before the snortster. Seems I don't feel so bad buying high dollar motorcycle parts. Do Bilstiens really ride any better than Monroe's?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I need to redo the front end on the red truck; and while I'm collecting parts I just had to cough up for 4 new tires + TPM sensors on my wife's car yesterday. Now I need to get it aligned.
On top of spending money on maintenance on vehicles I need to get down to @Stumpy and get a bed for the crew cab and a motor for the red truck from him.
Got make sure the wife's car is 100% safe before I do anything, I can tolerate driving a deathtrap, I won't have her in one.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do Bilstiens really ride any better than Monroe's?

Short answer, yes. The Bilstein 4600s are pretty much the gold standard for these trucks, at least at stock ride height.

I don't have anything to compare them to besides the factory shocks that came on my trucks, but several other members here have reported a noticeable improvement compared to other brands over the years. IIRC someone here (fairly recently) swapped an old used set of Bilsteins back onto their truck after being unimpressed with a new set of cheaper shocks.