Wanting to know more about 383s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turbski for the win-ski? lol Only downside of a turbo is you'll get really bad mileage when loaded if you're in boost all the time. A big block will pull a lot of the time at stoich so the loaded mileage will be better. If that doesn't concern you then i really have a hard time arguing with a turbo 6.0
I actually got good mileage towing. I pulled a 22' enclosed from MS to KY and back. I had just put a cam in and didn't have time to dial the tune in. First 100 miles it drank fuel and was weak. Stopped to look at the scan and retune. I averaged 13mpg the whole trip and used 3 gallons of WWF.
I was easy on the throttle tho. Didn't hammer on it to pull a hill or nothing. And cruised sucked bad till I got that part of the tune dialed in. It would pull a hill and never unlock the TC in 4th.
Everybody said I was gonna beat the bearings out of it towing with boost in the low rpms. But almost made it to 500k miles and still has oil pressure.....

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually got good mileage towing. I pulled a 22' enclosed from MS to KY and back. I had just put a cam in and didn't have time to dial the tune in. First 100 miles it drank fuel and was weak. Stopped to look at the scan and retune. I averaged 13mpg the whole trip and used 3 gallons of WWF.
I was easy on the throttle tho. Didn't hammer on it to pull a hill or nothing. And cruised sucked bad till I got that part of the tune dialed in. It would pull a hill and never unlock the TC in 4th.
Everybody said I was gonna beat the bearings out of it towing with boost in the low rpms. But almost made it to 500k miles and still has oil pressure.....

That is fricken awesome.. okay I'm sold. Curious where you had it entering BE? I suppose you really only got into boost one hills and when accelerating so that makes sense the mileage was decent.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll have to take a pic of my commanded fuel table. At 2000 rpm I'm pretty sure it was 13.0 AFR at 105kpa+.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may have only been 12mpg. Either way I got better mileage than my BIL's F150 and he was pulling a little 4wheeler trailer.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It may have only been 12mpg. Either way I got better mileage than my BIL's F150 and he was pulling a little 4wheeler trailer.

Yeah Im just curious how rich it needs to be under light boost. Though ecoboosts make good power as far as I know their mileage isn't great loaded. I suppose they need more boost to maintain speed so they end up dumping fuel.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Im just curious how rich it needs to be under light boost. Though ecoboosts make good power as far as I know their mileage isn't great loaded. I suppose they need more boost to maintain speed so they end up dumping fuel.
They get stupid rich fast. They gotta keep the cats from melting.
My buddy had a tuner and a wideband in his EB.
Cut the cats and got the tune dialed in on factory boost and it picked up a ton of power.
The early ones would spit black smoke like a diesel they were so rich.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have torque for towing for days in OD thanks to a 5.13 rear gear. The old 350 has no issues pulling 6-8,000 lbs uphill with the converter locked up. It cruises 70 mph @ 2,800 rpm. Once I get up in altitude it will drop to 3rd on long steep grades though. It only turns 4,200 rpm @ 70 in 3rd. Right around torque peak and with the gear reduction the speedo stays on 70.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got about 16-17 out of my ecoboost couple weeks ago pulling a Bonneville up and down hills maintaning 65-70 mph. I don't know how much weight total i was towing but i know it pulled it like it wasn't there.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got about 16-17 out of my ecoboost couple weeks ago pulling a Bonneville up and down hills maintaning 65-70 mph. I don't know how much weight total i was towing but i know it pulled it like it wasn't there.
Boost is awesome :)

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Well I think I'm sold on the lq4 turbo lol. I think I'm gonna look around and find a way I can turn it up and down while driving for work or (play) lol and then normal driving.