Wanting to know more about 383s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I like the idea of a big. Lock always have because of their power. I have also been told I dont work it enough for a big block even a stock 454 would be great. The road I travel to NC from work every day my truck gets better fuel mileage than my wife's 4 cylinder car... I figured as long as I kept my foot out of it I could squeeze even more mileage out of a big block ... more power = less throttle = less downshifting = better fuel mileage

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
What's the best years for 454 with out changing the heads? I know the heads is what killed some years. I'm going to be swapping to a carburetor setup and shorty headers to help it breath

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the best years for 454 with out changing the heads?
I'll just take a guess, and say the '96>'99 blocks with the Vortec heads and a roller cam.
You'll need to run an electric fuel pump,,.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the best years for 454 with out changing the heads? I know the heads is what killed some years. I'm going to be swapping to a carburetor setup and shorty headers to help it breath

Just go for an 8.1. Dart makes a carb intake for them.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanna keep a little fuel mileage lol

Thing about the 8.1 is with its long stroke it makes great off-idle torque. 350 ft/lbs @ 800 rpm and 400 ft/lbs @ 1,200. I kept the 3.42 gears in my Tahoe despite having P305/50R20s on it. I can run 90 mph in it without ever turning 2,500 rpm.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I like the idea of a big. Lock always have because of their power. I have also been told I dont work it enough for a big block even a stock 454 would be great. The road I travel to NC from work every day my truck gets better fuel mileage than my wife's 4 cylinder car... I figured as long as I kept my foot out of it I could squeeze even more mileage out of a big block ... more power = less throttle = less downshifting = better fuel mileage

My truck only gets about 10. When it was new it would get 12.6 on the highway. My truck is a 1-ton 4x4 with 4.10 gears.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to use a Dart SHP 4.125" bore block
YOU are not expecting to do this with a $5K budget--installed--like the original poster.

I have a stock-block 406 in my El Camino, although the block is about the only "stock" item. I blew more than $5K on it, and that was twenty+ years ago. I like the "400" SBC, but OEM blocks were never plentiful around here, and they're all but non-existent now. The Dart SHP is a wonderful choice (if you've got the money for one.)

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
The more I figure out the more a lq9 looks better lol!. Pricy to get set up but seems more worth it find one do a cam swap and freshen up and have what I'm looking for and better mileage than a 454 or 496

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The more I figure out the more a lq9 looks better lol!. Pricy to get set up but seems more worth it find one do a cam swap and freshen up and have what I'm looking for and better mileage than a 454 or 496

LQ4 would be cheaper, and much easier to find in MO salvage yards. There's three or four of them at one yard alone in my city.

That's what my red truck is getting for sure if the V6 ever gives me any problems.