Wanting to know more about 383s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I know my drivetrain will hold. I just had it all rebuilt and i will have to run 91+ Octane. I'm going to be carbureted so a lot less to tune on also

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
500 horse on a 383 with 10.1 comp ratio is doable all day long but the torque would be around 516. And as far as living next to a wizard no. But I have already put 5.5k in my truck at his shop and he's a good friend of mine and the family's. Either way if he shot high on the torque numbers ...so what not everyone's perfect. And I'm fine as long as the torque is still north of the hp and 500 mark.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Or does anyone have a recommendation of a turn key crate engine sbc torque monster? I'm exploring all options.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, the 383 is a robust platform and will work well in various applications, it's up to you to decide what you want and how much you want to spend. Personally once my 350 bottom end gives out I'll get a 4-bolt 383 short block with flat top pistons and roller cam. I can always throw my heads, intake, and TB on top. This way I should be able to pass emissions with a mild tune in my EBL flash-2 ECM. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of desert sand, LOL.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or does anyone have a recommendation of a turn key crate engine sbc torque monster? I'm exploring all options.
What you say you want...and what you indicate is your budget:

Abandon all hope of doing this with a SBC. Find a 454. Cubes = Torque. All the "special" parts you need for a SBC are handled nicely by typical OEM big-block stuff. No need for aftermarket rods, aftermarket crank. Hell, you might not need aftermarket heads. Cam, pistons, intake manifold, carb, rings, bearings, gasket set...done.

Even better if you get a roller-cam block.

Yes, this does increase the front-end weight. Would probably make more difference in a 'Vette or Chevelle. Less so in a full-sized truck.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you say you want...and what you indicate is your budget:

Abandon all hope of doing this with a SBC. Find a 454. Cubes = Torque. All the "special" parts you need for a SBC are handled nicely by typical OEM big-block stuff. No need for aftermarket rods, aftermarket crank. Hell, you might not need aftermarket heads. Cam, pistons, intake manifold, carb, rings, bearings, gasket set...done.

Even better if you get a roller-cam block.

Yes, this does increase the front-end weight. Would probably make more difference in a 'Vette or Chevelle. Less so in a full-sized truck.

I am going to do it with a small block because a big block will not fit in my Express van without a plasma cuter and a welder.

Going to use a Dart SHP 4.125" bore block with 350 mains to build a 414 cid engine with a 3.875" stroke. A few cubes short of a 454 still but still 65 cubes more than a 5.7s 349.

That being said my Tahoe and 1983 G20 have 8.1/496s that are still mostly stock long blocks. Just GM made cams, springs and ordinary big block headers. They make about 550 ft/lbs at peak and 450 hp @ 5,000.