411 Swap 383 Vortec Newbie To Tuning. Where To Start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try restarting your computer.
I did. I also checked for latest version of beta and updated that again. Did at 10am this morning and another update this evening. Restarted computer again. Resync my device. Hooked back to truck. Connected to vehicle. No values will display. It worked the other day when I started this thread. SMH.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did. I also checked for latest version of beta and updated that again. Did at 10am this morning and another update this evening. Restarted computer again. Resync my device. Hooked back to truck. Connected to vehicle. No values will display. It worked the other day when I started this thread. SMH.
Also re polled the PIDs nothing.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can be finicky at times, especially as these trucks get older. Only thing I can say is keep trying, and don't use beta
Yeah, I put the stable version back on the computer. Although it does not show MPVI3, just the MPVI2. When I contacted HP Tuners when I first bought the device, they told me to download beta and look for daily updates. I did not know that they would push multiple updates a day lol. I will stay with the stable version since I did write @L31MaxExpress recommendations he listed above. I also tried what you had sent yesterday and it ran kind of funky, so I just put the base tune back in to get home from work, then changed it to what he said and wrote it to truck this morning. It seemed to work real good. Still having some issues getting it to start and idle without throttle input. Once it starts and I hold it to around 1000 rpm for a few seconds it will do its thing. Runs real good after that. Obviously it wants more idle air, and it seems a little fat when idling. I will have my wideband installed this weekend. You had mentioned it I think, and I bought a pillar gauge set from Glowshift a couple months ago just haven't had time to get it installed yet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I put the stable version back on the computer. Although it does not show MPVI3, just the MPVI2. When I contacted HP Tuners when I first bought the device, they told me to download beta and look for daily updates. I did not know that they would push multiple updates a day lol. I will stay with the stable version since I did write @L31MaxExpress recommendations he listed above. I also tried what you had sent yesterday and it ran kind of funky, so I just put the base tune back in to get home from work, then changed it to what he said and wrote it to truck this morning. It seemed to work real good. Still having some issues getting it to start and idle without throttle input. Once it starts and I hold it to around 1000 rpm for a few seconds it will do its thing. Runs real good after that. Obviously it wants more idle air, and it seems a little fat when idling. I will have my wideband installed this weekend. You had mentioned it I think, and I bought a pillar gauge set from Glowshift a couple months ago just haven't had time to get it installed yet.
Open the throttle body by turning the adjustment screw about 3 turns clockwise viewed from the front. Start it and warm it up. You want the IAC to be open minimally at hot idle. Look at the IAC counts at hot idle in park with no additional engine load like the ac. I shoot for around 15-25 counts at hot idle. After turning in the screw 3 turns clockwise with a torx bit, if the IAC steps are zero, bring the screw back out very slowly while watching the IAC steps until they rise up to ~20 counts. When performing this adjustment the TPS will auto zero to the lowest voltage the PCM sees. That is why I try to overshoot it higher than necessary at first and back off. If for some reason you are still over 25 counts, shut the engine off, go another 1 turn clockwise and recheck. I have found with this approach I often do not have to mess with the startup and friction airflow stuff, what was there just works.

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the throttle body by turning the adjustment screw about 3 turns clockwise viewed from the front. Start it and warm it up. You want the IAC to be open minimally at hot idle. Look at the IAC counts at hot idle in park with no additional engine load like the ac. I shoot for around 15-25 counts at hot idle. After turning in the screw 3 turns clockwise with a torx bit, if the IAC steps are zero, bring the screw back out very slowly while watching the IAC steps until they rise up to ~20 counts. When performing this adjustment the TPS will auto zero to the lowest voltage the PCM sees. That is why I try to overshoot it higher than necessary at first and back off. If for some reason you are still over 25 counts, shut the engine off, go another 1 turn clockwise and recheck. I have found with this approach I often do not have to mess with the startup and friction airflow stuff, what was there just works.
Thanks I will check that out tomorrow. That is if I can get VCM Scanner to work again. I have an open ticket, so maybe they can get it figured out by tomorrow. Here is what they sent...

Please provide me with an infolog while connected to the vehicle ignition on.
Have you tried repolling for supported parameters in the vehicle tab?
Open the latest BETA scanner then resync and repoll and if it is the same provide me with a debug.dat file as well.
1) A VCM Suite Infolog pulled while connected to the vehicle in question. You can find instructions here: https://hptuners.freshdesk.com/supp...000064334-how-to-generate-a-vcm-suite-infolog
2) The debug.dat file found in your folder: https://hptuners.freshdesk.com/supp...308-locating-a-debug-dat-and-license-dat-file

supspt454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least as a back up, I have a WIFI scanner and Dashcommand with the PIDs so it can display IAC Position [Counts]