383 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few options.
From cheapest to most expensive.
-Get a chip burner, start data logging and burning chips.
There's one here in the middle. The Motortronic Cobra RT. You install it in your PCM and it allows emulation like the EBL. Once you get it dialed in then you burn a chip with the parameters you have put in and you're good to go. I have not personally worked with one but I have heard good things about them.
-Switch to a EBL Flash 2 ECM, they take your stock ECM and modify it to allow it to be tuned.
You would still have to tune it yourself or get someone. A few here have gone this route.

-as @Sean Buick 76 said, switch to a completely aftermarket fuel injection system.
I have yet to hear anything good about any aftermarket fuel systems and you still have to run the transmission which none of these systems will do on their own. GM got it right and if they had ever built a cammed 383 there would be a drop in prom for it but because they didn't you will have to make one yourself. Another alternative would be to datalog your PCM and send the log file to a OBD1 tuner with a list of complaints and let them burn the chip for you. Don't expect them to get it perfect the first time. TunerPro RT(free) and a patch cord($60) are going to be a necessity.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's one here in the middle. The Motortronic Cobra RT. You install it in your PCM and it allows emulation like the EBL. Once you get it dialed in then you burn a chip with the parameters you have put in and you're good to go. I have not personally worked with one but I have heard good things about them.

I have yet to hear anything good about any aftermarket fuel systems and you still have to run the transmission which none of these systems will do on their own. GM got it right and if they had ever built a cammed 383 there would be a drop in prom for it but because they didn't you will have to make one yourself. Another alternative would be to datalog your PCM and send the log file to a OBD1 tuner with a list of complaints and let them burn the chip for you. Don't expect them to get it perfect the first time. TunerPro RT(free) and a patch cord($60) are going to be a necessity.
Never heard of the Motortronic unit, I'll have too look into that. Thanks for the tip, that's why forums like this one are great, multiple 1/2 brains get together to make a full one! Lol

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of the Motortronic unit, I'll have too look into that. Thanks for the tip, that's why forums like this one are great, multiple 1/2 brains get together to make a full one! Lol

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's kinda like the G1, G2, or APU1. (IIRC) replacement from Moates but, they shut their site down :(
I got the Moates setup first but due to the awkward placement of the ECU in the 1988 it was a major pain the swap chips and not enough headroom to fit a quick realease socket so I ended up with the EBL and am absolutely impressed with it.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have yet to hear anything good about any aftermarket fuel systems and you still have to run the transmission which none of these systems will do on their own.
I've put 800 miles on FiTech Ultimate TPI, I get 14mpg laying the hammer down obnoxiously often, no drivability issues, never tuned it, and it runs my 4L60E.

I'm not saying everyone should build their own custom MPFI system but it is totally possible with integrated timing and trans control. If you pick a Holley product that also offers all those things and then some, it's likely to be able to find a tuner.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a ATK 383

• Bore/Stroke: 4.040” x 3.750”
• Displacement: 383CI
Okay, I'm twitching. It's not really a 383, it's a 385. It sounds like the bore didn't clean up at .030" over, which would be a 383, so they went another .010" which makes it a 385, but if you say "383" everybody knows kinda what it is. If you say 385, people get lost.

I have yet to hear anything good about any aftermarket fuel systems and you still have to run the transmission which none of these systems will do on their own.
I tend to complain about Holley nickel and diming customers on the Sniper setup, but now that mine's pretty much dialed in, it runs flawlessly. You are correct that BigIron002 will need a transmission controller for his first-year 4L60E, but I did not for my 700R4.

Thanks for the tip, that's why forums like this one are great, multiple 1/2 brains get together to make a full one! Lol
In my experience as a supervisor, brains are multiplicative, not additive. If you put two half-wits together, they don't get competent, they get stupider.

.5 x .5 = .25

Instead, couple your half-wit with someone who's competent, and then have a solid performer inspect their work.

.5 x 1 = .5 + 1.5 = 2

If you get a whole crew of partially competent people together, you get massive stupidity.

.5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 x .5 = an accident requiring an ambulance