TBI / ECM tuning options. Chip / Burn / etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've kind of avoided the egr description, and I seriously hesitated to mention it at all. From what I see it always starts a circular argument, so with that in mind, go easy fellas, it's really a thread about chip tuning. With that said, and because you've asked...
I'm pretty sure it's code 32, but it's been a long long while since I last looked it up and cleared it.
I have no cat, and what I'm pretty sure is a flowmaster cat back system installed by the PO. The EGR is fully functional, and not deleted, blocked, or altered in any way. Seems to be in good working order. Clear the code, go out for a drive, and when it warms up a bit and hits a nice steady pace out on the highway, BLOOP, the CEL pops right up every time. There's a little variation to it, but it's pretty reliable. Usually 4-6 miles. Sometimes more, could be weather and or leadfoot related.

I have thoughts regarding the hardware choices, but the closer I look, the worse it gets. i need to take a minute to digest and reformulate. Back soon with more half understood questions.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The somewhat lack of exhaust backpressure won't cause the EGR code to kick. I've run open exhausts with EGR no problem. It's probably the EGR valve itself that is bad or the incorrect one (if it was replaced).

You can get a stock bin (find your 4 letter code on the ECM) and then remove EGR easily by setting the parameters outside the range where it would kick on. Burn the chip, and insert into the ZIF with the adapters, and you're good to go.

Reaction score
I am on the very same journey.
1995 5.7 with the 4l60e ,stock 4727 computer.

I had a long chat with Rbob- owner of dynamic-efi, last week.
Using his EBL - Flash-II computer to control the engine, and splicing a few sensor wires ,the second stock computer can run the transsmission.

Pros to this set up
the ebl computer has a "self learn" function- which leads to easier, faster tuning of your motor.
other than a usb cable its all pretty much self contained.

Cons- splicing sensor wires, moving pins, making a mounting bracket for the second computer- EBL cannot modify the transmisson shift points, lock up..etc, higher cost.

Burning your own chips
pros- Less cost of equipment, single stock computer can control both motor and trans.
Cons- longer tuning times, some equipment pieces are frequently out of stock/ not produced anymore.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on the very same journey.
1995 5.7 with the 4l60e ,stock 4727 computer.

I had a very long chat with Rbob- owner of dynamic-efi, last week.
Using his EBL - Flash-II computer to control the engine, and splicing a few sensor wires ,the second stock computer can run the transsmission.

Pros to this set up
the ebl computer has a "self learn" function- which leads to easier, faster tuning of your motor.
other than a usb cable its all pretty much self contained.

Cons- splicing sensor wires, moving pins, making a mounting bracket for the second computer- EBL cannot modify the transmisson shift points, lock up..etc, higher cost.
I like the idea of the EBL and if it could also control the tranny it would be the cats ass.
Burning your own chips
pros- Less cost of equipment, single stock computer can control both motor and trans.
Cons- longer tuning times, some equipment pieces are frequently out of stock/ not produced anymore.
For me this the best route with the only downside being that you have to datalog and flash or reflash chips. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. Having to run two control modules leads to complexity which leads to complications.
If Bob ever gets around to installing his system into 93-95 ECM's I would buy one in a half a heartbeat.
The Motortronic does not have the ability to flash,it can only emulate but it would make the tuning a lot quicker especially with the ability to use WBO2. Once you have your .bin tuned the way you want it then you flash the chip and install it straight in and remove the tuner to be used on the next project. I was daunted by the though of burning chips but it's not that hard. I've burned one now but haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I like the idea of the EBL and if it could also control the tranny it would be the cats ass.

For me this the best route with the only downside being that you have to datalog and flash or reflash chips. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. Having to run two control modules leads to complexity which leads to complications.
If Bob ever gets around to installing his system into 93-95 ECM's I would buy one in a half a heartbeat.
The Motortronic does not have the ability to flash,it can only emulate but it would make the tuning a lot quicker especially with the ability to use WBO2. Once you have your .bin tuned the way you want it then you flash the chip and install it straight in and remove the tuner to be used on the next project. I was daunted by the though of burning chips but it's not that hard. I've burned one now but haven't installed it yet.
Yup, i really wish it would control the trans functions as well, an All in one package.
I haven't decided on what route yet.
I needed to find out the actual method, wiring diagrams and the pin swapping first.
Its really not that complicated to install, but no idea how both computers will like sharing the tps voltage.. or if issues will even occur.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious how these https://affordable-fuel-injection.com/tbi-legacy/ compare to stock pcms and the ebl I know that they do not control the transmission just the engine stand alone tbi
That's not affordable especially when you factor in the price for a separate trans controller. It's pretty hard to beat factory electronics. I'm sure they spent way more on R&D than any of this aftermarket crap. Just ask L31 MaxEX. He just went through trying to tune an Edelbrock system that isn't tunable.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious how these https://affordable-fuel-injection.com/tbi-legacy/ compare to stock pcms and the ebl I know that they do not control the transmission just the engine stand alone tbi
I saw that one when I was researching upgrades for mine. Looking at the ECM in the picture, it looks like an original GM one with the window on top. I didn't bother asking since I already had most of the TBI related stuff. I wonder if that one is flash capable EEPROM or does it still have the EPROM? I'm happy with the EBL and,if I ever upgrade to an electronic controlled trans, I'll get an aftermarket controller for it but, keep the EBL :waytogo:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not affordable especially when you factor in the price for a separate trans controller. It's pretty hard to beat factory electronics. I'm sure they spent way more on R&D than any of this aftermarket crap. Just ask L31 MaxEX. He just went through trying to tune an Edelbrock system that isn't tunable.
I did and it is getting swapped to a P59 sooner than later.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rbob has no plans of doing EBL for the '7427. there was talk of it about 10 years ago, but it seems there is less and less interest for TBI. i don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to run EBL in tandem with a '7427. There are spreadsheets to automatically make VE tables if your wanting a self learn mode. also, you're going to need all the chip burning stuff if you want to change transmission.