TBI / ECM tuning options. Chip / Burn / etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread begins with my truck (93 5.7 stock TBI) having a too free flowing exhaust. The Check Engine light is always on because of the lack of backpressure for the EGR system. Basically, I've tolerated it for too long, and I've started looking at my options, which are..... Not Good.

As I understand it:

Burning / Reburning the stock chip is a PITA and simply not practical.

Switching to a flash based chip instead of the oem UV chip is recommended, but I need appropriate support hardware. Everyone recommends Moates. It looks like Moates has gone out of business.

The third and most drastic option is to rip out the stock PCM and replace it with something completely aftermarket such as a Megasquirt or a Speeduino. However this could be fairly expensive, and what I'm seeing on google suggests that running it with a 4L60E may be either unworkable or extra expensive.

Any thoughts on what is available and reasonable? For today, I'd just like to turn the EGR check off. That said, a 383 is on the someday list, and it'd be nice to future proof it a little.
Also, just FYI, I'm seriously not interested in an LS. Yes it's better, yes it's probably easier, but I personally just want to keep the TBI for my own personal selfish reasons.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread begins with my truck (93 5.7 stock TBI) having a too free flowing exhaust. The Check Engine light is always on because of the lack of backpressure for the EGR system. Basically, I've tolerated it for too long, and I've started looking at my options, which are..... Not Good.

As I understand it:

Burning / Reburning the stock chip is a PITA and simply not practical.

Switching to a flash based chip instead of the oem UV chip is recommended, but I need appropriate support hardware. Everyone recommends Moates. It looks like Moates has gone out of business.

The third and most drastic option is to rip out the stock PCM and replace it with something completely aftermarket such as a Megasquirt or a Speeduino. However this could be fairly expensive, and what I'm seeing on google suggests that running it with a 4L60E may be either unworkable or extra expensive.

Any thoughts on what is available and reasonable? For today, I'd just like to turn the EGR check off. That said, a 383 is on the someday list, and it'd be nice to future proof it a little.
Also, just FYI, I'm seriously not interested in an LS. Yes it's better, yes it's probably easier, but I personally just want to keep the TBI for my own personal selfish reasons.
EBL Flash 2

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread begins with my truck (93 5.7 stock TBI) having a too free flowing exhaust. The Check Engine light is always on because of the lack of backpressure for the EGR system.
Where did you get that idea?

EBL Flash 2
He's talking about running a 4L60E, which will require parallel controllers.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Moates clones over on boostednw.com, and if I understand correctly, I need:

ADL 12 pin GM data logger (119.99)
GM1 memory adapter (54.99)
+ (2) 27FS512 chips (35.00)
+ (optional) ZIF Socket (19.99)

TunerPro RT (free)
Windows laptop with at least one USB port.

Did I miss anything? I'm going to need a wideband o2 at some point too, right?

Total cost 230 dollars and tax, plus one used laptop. Sounds Very doable. I have cash saved for a long shot item at an auction this weekend. I need to hang onto all of it until I see if I'm broke afterwards. If not, then I'll take the plunge, and start learning the gentle art of tuning.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Moates clones over on boostednw.com, and if I understand correctly, I need:

ADL 12 pin GM data logger (119.99)
GM1 memory adapter (54.99)
+ (2) 27FS512 chips (35.00)
+ (optional) ZIF Socket (19.99)

TunerPro RT (free)
Windows laptop with at least one USB port.

Did I miss anything? I'm going to need a wideband o2 at some point too, right?

Total cost 230 dollars and tax, plus one used laptop. Sounds Very doable. I have cash saved for a long shot item at an auction this weekend. I need to hang onto all of it until I see if I'm broke afterwards. If not, then I'll take the plunge, and start learning the gentle art of tuning.
You've been looking for love in all the wrong places.
TunerPro is free with a $40 optional registration fee(recommended)
You can datalog in TunerPro so no need for a separate datalogger.

This is the easiest way to use those EEPROMS;

ALDL cable

Chip burner/reader;

27SF512 EEPROMS;
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I copied and pasted the link to those EEPROM's off Amazon but it didn't come through but if you look them up you will find them sold as two for $18

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
make sure your EGR is a negative pressure unit. should have an N stamped on it. Not a P.

i am curious as to what code is being stored. i have successfully blocked off the EGR with a plate on many GM vehicles of this era and never got a CEL. Yes it will run somewhat leaner when the computer commands EGR, but i doubt that will be an issue for your setup.

Last edited: