Vortec 454/no start after new distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This weekend I was busy replacing the injectors in my 99 K2500 Suburban. Before putting on the upper intake I hand rotated the engine to TDC for #1, pulled the #1 plug and verified with a camera that it was at tdc. Put the distributor back in, got everything else put back on and nothing. It spins over but won't start. I left the distributor hold down bolt a little loose so I could potentially adjust the cam retard offset (I have an obd2 reader and Torque Pro). Since it's right up against the upper intake there's not much room to move it, but rotating it one direction would cause it to backfire through the exhaust. The opposite direction stopped the backfire but it still wouldn't start.

I've reached the limits of my mechanical abilities and before I have it towed somewhere, does anybody have any ideas? The mark on the balancer was lined up as close as possible (maybe 1/4" off) with the mark on the timing cover. Is it possible it wasn't actually at tdc and it's 180° out?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You can't do it that way. The Vortec caps hold each cylinder to a fixed location. The connections cross over inside the cap. You have to line up the rotor to a specific spot. You could probably Google or Youtube the procedure for the Vortec eninges. I have not had to do it myself.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hand rotated the engine to TDC for #1, pulled the #1 plug and verified with a camera that it was at tdc.
WHICH "TDC" for #1? TDC-Exhaust, or TDC-Compression?

As said, the Vortec caps are goofy.

Read the procedure in the service manual. The distributor housing has marks on it to help you align the thing.

Bone Shaker

Reaction score
Easy way that’s worked for me. Put your finger over # cylinder spark plug hole and slowly rotate the engine. When you feel pressure starting to build t d c is coming up. Hope this helps

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was at tdc for compression. I have a camera small enough to fit inside the spark plug hole so I can watch the position of the valves and piston.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHICH "TDC" for #1? TDC-Exhaust, or TDC-Compression?

As said, the Vortec caps are goofy.

Read the procedure in the service manual. The distributor housing has marks on it to help you align the thing.

TDC for compression. I followed the procedure according to what I found in Alldata. The only thing I can think of is the timing mark on the balancer not being exactly lined up with the mark on the cover threw it off. I'm going to redo it this weekend and get it exact, this is my first time doing all of this.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds to me like your about 180 out but I am not near my shade tree at this time.