Vinyl Wrap vs Paint Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
If are just wanting it presentable and cheap, I would sand it, fill any dents, spot prime those spots and buy some Omni or comparable cheap paint plus clear and paint it yourself, it is not that difficult especially if you are just wanting it presentable and not show quality, should be doable for a few hundred bucks. Also you don't have to have a paint booth or anything for just presentable, I have seen some pretty decent paint jobs that were done outside, not that I am suggesting that but just an option.

Hey Draggin, Any recommendations for tools? (paint gun type/specs to look for, size of air compressor needed, etc). I want to start learning to do automotive paint, but don't know where to start.

mistaake

Reaction score
Hey Draggin, Any recommendations for tools? (paint gun type/specs to look for, size of air compressor needed, etc). I want to start learning to do automotive paint, but don't know where to start.

Good questions. I would be interested as well. I have never painted anything :) Well, when I was like 15 I painted my computer but that didn't turn out well.

Would I have to put primer first if I wanted to change the color?

mistaake

Reaction score
One option you might consider is Monstaliner. It is a tintable bedliner product that can be sprayed or rolled on. A lot of Jeep guys use it. I imagine you could easily do the whole truck from under $500. See pics in link below.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-1376308/

That texture might be odd but that actually looks really cool. I could do the main color as a dark blue similar to my company color and just do black where it's silver/gray now. Anybody done this one a tahoe or burb or yukon?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score

I would recommend a gravity feed type gun, its easier to clean and it stops spraying when empty compared to a siphon feed that would splatter all over the place. You have an option for an hvlp (high volume low pressure) or a lvlp (low volume low pressure) and this is determined by your air compressor with how much volume it can continuously put out. 30 gallon minimum for hvlp paint guns. A 1.7 size paint nozzle for primer and a 1.2 or 1.5 for base and clear. I would highly suggest an air gage at the gun and a dryer/filter at the compressor and close to the gun but not at the gun (this can fill up and drip on your paint).

Personally, I prefer block sanding over air tools.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am by no means a body and paint expert, I have a craftsman gravity feed gun it's cheap but it works, I have a large 2 stage air compressor with a line dryer to remove moisture. I use the orange prefilter at the paint gun from O'reilly auto parts, I also get free mixing cups from there that have the ratio scale on the side. I follow the directions for whatever I am painting, and like I said it is not show quality but it is presentable, I have painted a couple of trucks as well as complete frames this way, and it works fine for what I am doing.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either this ^

or sand it, fix the dents, and tape it up and bring it to facto-bake or earl shaub. Probably be about $500 for them to shoot it. They actually have pretty good painters since they do so many a day but their prep is not good.

mistaake

Reaction score
Either this ^

or sand it, fix the dents, and tape it up and bring it to facto-bake or earl shaub. Probably be about $500 for them to shoot it. They actually have pretty good painters since they do so many a day but their prep is not good.

What about Maaco? they run ads around here all the time.

I am better off having them paint the whole thing in a color (say, white, or some other color, whatever I want) and then plasti-dipping the fender flare things and bottom parts black?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having seen some Maaco paintjobs a year or so after they were completed, I wouldn't let them touch anything I own.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maaco has levels of quality. Most you see are scuff and paint pretty much. You get what you pay for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about Maaco? they run ads around here all the time.

I am better off having them paint the whole thing in a color (say, white, or some other color, whatever I want) and then plasti-dipping the fender flare things and bottom parts black?

Maaco is the same as the 2 I listed. Like I said if you prep it and tape it, its not bad. If you let them prep it they scotch brite and comet it and then paint it. Their painters are actually good painters because they paint volume.