Variable steering resistance help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. So my speed sensitive steering thing quit working after an engine swap.

Does anyone have any insight into this system. How it works. Wire diagrams. What sensors it needs. And just generally what I could have done under the hood to break it

98 k1500 5.7

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it a direct engine and controls swap? If not, what’s changed? Same pump or different pump?

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was it a direct engine and controls swap? If not, what’s changed? Same pump or different pump?
It was a long block swap. So I'm using the original ps pump. In fact I never even drained the fluid

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you double checked that the connector is still seated good at the pump end, I would check to make sure the 2 wires that run from the pump to the EVO/Passlock module up under the middle of the dash didn't get damaged during the swap. If that's all good, my guess would be a coincidental failure of the speed sensitive steering valve.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The EVO sensors on the column tend to go bad as well. If all the wiring is good then that would be my first suspect.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah. I didn't know there are wires going to the pump. That may be my issue right there

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just want to note that appearenty this EVo system was a flop , nobody makes a replacement pump. And the internet as a whole just hates it.

But I absolutely love the hell out of it.
I mean who are these people that need to whorl the wheel around with 1 finger at 80mph

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the EVO on my '97s as well. It has issues occasionally but I've always opted to fix it rather than get rid of it. The only time that it bugs me when everything is working properly is if I'm doing donuts or sliding around to the point that wheel speed does not equal actual speed. Even then it's manageable if you know what to expect, though.