Upper ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Whew! those factory rivets are murder!
I grinded, beat, banged drilled and finally I think they just gave up and fell out!
Now the passenger side cv axle was a piece of cake, 10 mins out, 10 mins in!
Sway bar end links and front shocks will have to wait until tomorrow when I am refreshed from wollering all over the garage floor!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When I did the UBJs in my Burb 2 years ago, I didn't have trouble getting the bolts out (guess maybe they weren't the original ones, I thought they were all riveted in). My big problem was getting the shaft out of the spindle. Had to use many large hammers, a pitman arm puller, and a pickle fork. Still required many whacks and lots of swearing. Put new lifetime warranty MOOG ones in. Still tight, will pull out for spares, when the new arms are on.
When I've done the LBJs on my other Burbs, I've used the OTC puller/ press. This is the one the HF tool is based on. Works pretty good, but on my 90 R2500 Burb, the right side one came off in 4 pieces. Exploded inside the press cups, sounded like someone shooting a .357 off by my head!

Reaction score
I noticed today the truck is 1/4 inch higher after the ball joints,
I'm going to drive it, measure and maybe raise 1/2 inch which will still keep the a-arms off the droop stop, then add my new shocks and then put tires on the ground and add the sway bar links, test drive and remeasure. Im shooting for at least 1 inch higher in the front than the back.
Wish I could post pics on here I took several.