Upper ball joint boot stuck up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks - 1998 K2500, 5.7L, 250,000miles. Upper and lower ball joints several months ago with other work done as well, but I made the mistake of filling them with oil before installation, and there wasn't a good way to get it out, I tried a couple, and it was a sealed boot with grease going in only one direction, in. The collective advice was to just go ahead and drive them, and let the grease work its way out, as they were overfilled. Three out of four look good, but this one appears that the boot is stuck upwards, or hopefully not busted, worst case scenario, which it doesn't look like it to me, I can't see any obvious damage. This is also on the same side as an inner tie rod boot that did actually break, and the lock nut came off, I wrote about that in a different thread. Anyways, looked at this with the wheel on, and it looks like the boot is stuck in a hiked-up position. Wondering if there are any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance, Tommy, Longview, WA
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why did you use oil? Should be chassis grease, NLG #2, it's in the owners manual. Bearings are greased or lubed before install. Parts with grease zerks lube after install with correct spec grease.
Whatever is slinging grease, take it down to wash it yourself car wash get that grease off the caliper, rotor and brakes.
Clean that edge where the boot sits, and try to gently pry it back into place.
Good luck.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why did you use oil? Should be chassis grease, NLG #2, it's in the owners manual. Bearings are greased or lubed before install. Parts with grease zerks lube after install with correct spec grease.
Whatever is slinging grease, take it down to wash it yourself car wash get that grease off the caliper, rotor and brakes.
Clean that edge where the boot sits, and try to gently pry it back into place.
Good luck.
Agreed. Try to use a small pocket screwdriver or mini prybar and gently pull the boot back into place. Use grease, not oil when filling up the boots too. I'd recommend name brand grease too like Lucas, Royal Purple, Red Line etc... I'm using cheap store brand grease rn and it doesn't last that long. The only reason I'm still using it is bc I still have 1/2 a tube left and I don't like wasting the stuff I have.