Sealed ball joint - newbie problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you were right, it just started splatting out grease under pressure, I was just worried about them rupturing. On a side note, all things being equal, any idea what would’ve shifted enough to make the tire hit the bumper when turning?? I left the tie rods just the way they were, I just disconnected them then hooked them back up. It’s a big tire and there wasn’t a ton of clearance beforehand, but it cleared it. There is a front end alignment in its near future.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that were me, I would probably check on those boots once a week or so for a couple weeks. There is a chance of pressure being exerted through steering input and compression/rebound of the suspension, and I would want to make sure that doesn’t cause the boots to split open.

Also just my opinion, looks like that pass side sway bar end link could be snugged up a bit more so that there is just slight compression of the bushings.

Congrats on getting everything back together!

TommyJ1980

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that were me, I would probably check on those boots once a week or so for a couple weeks. There is a chance of pressure being exerted through steering input and compression/rebound of the suspension, and I would want to make sure that doesn’t cause the boots to split open.

Also just my opinion, looks like that pass side sway bar end link could be snugged up a bit more so that there is just slight compression of the bushings.

Congrats on getting everything back together!
Yeah, those end links were problematic. Directions said to torque them to 20ft/lbs but I couldn’t get that without squishing the bushings oddly so I just put thread locker and tightened them to the point where they looked ok…