Upgrade steering parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just called my favorite AC-Delco rep; first he told me that 26015779 has "Zero" stock showing nation-wide. Then he said that "the web site" is not officially listing it as "Discontinued". Perhaps this is an issue of Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19) affecting the supply chain.
They're now telling me that GM part # 26015779 IS discontinued. If you want one, buy it NOW.

He did some searching, says he'll have one for me this coming Friday. I don't know where he found one. I have no confirmation that it's NOT Communist Chinese. All in, it's gonna be around $200.

I will believe this when I get the call that the local store actually has one for me in their possession. If this thing actually shows up, I'll provide photos.
My guy came through. I picked it up this morning. Photos soon.

I don't know where they found one, and they're not telling me. Maybe there's a warehouse somewhere that has hundreds of them. More likely, they found a GM dealership that had one or two in stock.

The box does not say "Made In USA" on it, neither does it say "Made in Communist China". I suspect without proof that it is a USA-sourced item.

Again, if you want one, start looking NOW.

Last edited:

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're now telling me that GM part # 26015779 IS discontinued. If you want one, buy it NOW.

I don't know where they found one, and they're not telling me. Maybe there's a warehouse somewhere that has hundreds of them. More likely, they found a GM dealership that had one or two in stock.

The box does not say "Made In USA" on it, neither does it say "Made in Communist China". I suspect without proof that it is a USA-sourced item.

LOL I should have kept my mouth shut
Don't you just love OE mods

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is no different than using a Jeep shaft, in terms of where you can use it. This GM shaft has the joint under the master cylinder, so in a newer GMT-400 you'll still end up with 3 joints which isn't going to be safe, unless you add a brace that no one wants to do. It must be that the HD didn't get the newer steering shaft design.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is no different than using a Jeep shaft, in terms of where you can use it. This GM shaft has the joint under the master cylinder, so in a newer GMT-400 you'll still end up with 3 joints which isn't going to be safe, unless you add a brace that no one wants to do. It must be that the HD didn't get the newer steering shaft design.
sorry 454cid. I didnt state the obvious , when I 1st mention about that GM / Dorman shaft fitting into my 94 k1500 that it would work on 88-94 only

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Shurkey's truck is a 97.
Schurkey has two, and both are on the receiving end of needed repairs. The '88 5.7L K1500 was bought with 170K on it in late 1997. Now has >300K; fresh engine and popped TH700 transmission. Pulled the pan yesterday, great long strips of band material along with some metal chunks, and evil black stuff in the pan. I'm going to talk to some folks; I think the '700 will get rebuilt and reinstalled--but--I'm toying with the idea of grafting-in a 4L80E. I hate the idea of buying a stand-alone controller.

The steering shaft is destined for the '88, which has steered like a wallowing pig for twenty years.

The '97 7.4L K2500 just got upper control arms, a radiator, repaired battery cables, and I cut the fuel filter out and spliced in a new one--the tubes would not unscrew from the filter and I was too chicken to use a torch to get the flare nuts to turn. I might have used a flameless inductive heater, but I don't own one and $400+ is more than I was willing to pay. 180K on it Still need wiring work to get the lights on the snow plow working; probably a fuel pump, and some steering/suspension/brake work. TrueTrack here, gaskets and seals ordered for the rear axle; not looking forward to pulling the drums. I've never done a full-float rear brake job before. Who the hell buys a truck new, with the intention of mounting a snow plow, and DOESN'T check the option box for "G80"? If I stumble across a steering column for a non-airbag tonner, it may find a home in the '97; I'm not a fan of explosive devices in the passenger compartment.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Schurkey has two

I didn't realize you had two trucks, but I think I remember you talking about buying the 97, now that I think about it.

The '97 7.4L K2500 .... not looking forward to pulling the drums. I've never done a full-float rear brake job before.

Do your drums slide off, or are they on the back of the hubs, or have you not even gotten that far yet? I think JB7's are on the back of the hubs, and JB8s are on the front and slide off. Even if you have the slide off drums, you will be in for a fight if you don't have the anti-seize on the contact surfaces.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do your drums slide off, or are they on the back of the hubs, or have you not even gotten that far yet? I think JB7's are on the back of the hubs, and JB8s are on the front and slide off. Even if you have the slide off drums, you will be in for a fight if you don't have the anti-seize on the contact surfaces.
I have the JB7. I'm expecting to have to remove the drums with the bearings and seal. At least, that's what my service-manual-on-DVD is showing. I didn't know the JB8 was different--other than the additional inch of lining width (2.5" vs. 3.5")

Rear brakes are on the "List of Things To Do", but I'm not putting a wrench on them until I have the gaskets and seals in-hand. Then I'll inspect the rear brakes, replace what I need to, and stuff in the differential while the axle shafts are out.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

pics yet ?