Upgrade steering parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Unless he's replaced the video, the guy is installing a Dorman C3500 shaft, not a Jeep shaft. Dorman # 425-177.

The only application Dorman shows is '88--'02 C3500. No K-series, no 1500s or 2500s.

IF (big IF) it actually works in the 1500 and 2500s, C and K, it'd be a real bonus. Too bad it's Chinese.

There is a difference in the later (95-up?) steering columns, having an extra joint in them, which may or may not be due to airbags. Perhaps the 3500s didn't get airbags, so they used the older-style column? I don't know.

I thought 97 was the year for the change in shaft. Either way, my 97 3500 has the same column as my 98, but it has the larger 95-97 airbag style wheel with a airbagless insert.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Unless he's replaced the video, the guy is installing a Dorman C3500 shaft, not a Jeep shaft. Dorman # 425-177.

The only application Dorman shows is '88--'02 C3500. No K-series, no 1500s or 2500s.

IF (big IF) it actually works in the 1500 and 2500s, C and K, it'd be a real bonus. Too bad it's Chinese.

There is a difference in the later (95-up?) steering columns, having an extra joint in them, which may or may not be due to airbags. Perhaps the 3500s didn't get airbags, so they used the older-style column? I don't know.

Interesting.... I've never heard of a Chevy shaft having the u-joint at the gearbox. Sure enough, I checked Dorman's site and they say it fits C's and not K's. I thought you had to use the Jeep shaft to eliminate the rag joint.

3500's didn't get airbags, but I don't have the joint under the master cylinder. If I used a Jeep shaft, I'd end up with one there, in addition to the joint I have under the dash, is the way I understand it.... I haven't really been under the dash much.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I thought 97 was the year for the change in shaft. Either way, my 97 3500 has the same column as my 98, but it has the larger 95-97 airbag style wheel with a airbagless insert.

Dorman says my truck takes the 425-185 and it goes back to 1995, which I think I've read here in the forum was a split year.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One review on Amazon for the 425-177 says it fit his '91 K1500 perfectly. Would be interested if anyone else can confirm.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '97 K2500. I guess I need to look for a Treasure Yard Tonner to swipe the wheel from. I don't understand how Government can force us to have explosive devices in the passenger compartment.

One review on Amazon for the 425-177 says it fit his '91 K1500 perfectly. Would be interested if anyone else can confirm.
Agreed. I saw that, too. And Stratton says it fit his '94.
bolted right into my 94 k1500. have not drove it yet.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a friend who glanced over his shoulder at something, turned back and traffic had stopped while he was still doing 60 mph. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt. It destroyed his Tahoe, but everyone walked away with no injuries. Airbags save lives. Unless they're Takata airbags. Those guys need to go to jail for life.

CapnDean

Reaction score
I found the Dorman video while I was replacing my rag joint. The only problem I have with the rag joint is that I was forced to grind a little bit off each bolt head in order to permit the joint to have flex. I did not like that. I am going to head to the junkyard this week and get a jeep XJ shaft to install. Anybody else looking for one? Ill try to snag a few if they're available.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they work properly, the airbags prevent hyperextension of the neck so you don't die the way Earnhardt did. Their purpose is very different from that of a seat belt.
Who drives 150+ miles an hour, into a rigid barrier, in a vehicle that has zero deliberate crumple-zone, while wearing 5- or 6-point seat belts?

A head-on collision between two normal passenger cars going 75+ mph (150+ mph closing speed) would put FAR less energy into the spine because there'd be enormously-more crumple area, and the ordinary seat belts wouldn't hold the body as rigidly.

As originally sold to the America Public, "Air Bags" were supposed to REPLACE seat belts. When they COULD NOT BE MADE TO WORK PROPERLY IN THE REAL WORLD, the Government took five steps back, punted, and pretended they were "supplemental" restraints. It's a political bullshit move.

Even the folks who DO have the risk of hitting a reinforced concrete barrier at 150+ mph DON'T USE AIR BAGS FOR PROTECTION.

I'll say it again: Explosive devices in the passenger compartment are a bad idea.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is no way in hell an airbag could ever do what a belt does. Think of side impacts, rollovers, etc. While the helmet exacerbates the issue, these guys went in the ditch at like 30.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

When you build a race car, you replace the 3 point belt with a 5+ point and delete the airbags in favor of a HANS device in order to restrain the occupant and prevent hyperextension of the neck which is what you also get with a factory 3 point and an airbag. The gov't doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground.