Unusual Rear Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well hopefully the axle isn't too bad if you replace it. If not I wonder if you'll eventually burn up the bearings.. keep an eye on it and maybe start saving up if you haven't. Story of my life.. I will say PayPal has helped me along with rock auto. I can buy parts and make payments within like 3month. Helps out nowdays for things that pop up.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not think it's a bent axle. I bent one once when I hit a patch of ice and jumped a curb. A few days later I heard a squeaking... maybe weeks later, LOL.

Anyway, my mechanic lifted the rear axle and hit the gas and rear passenger wheel wobbled bad. Be was like, "what did you hit?" So he replaced the axle and all was well. That is also when Ifound out I had the G80. I don't think I ever looked at the bent on to see where it was bent?

Going back to your question: did your alignment shop check the rear alignment? I don't think there's anything to check on a solid axle, so perhaps the ydidn't bother. But I bet if you take it back and show them your tire they can check.

Maybe you got a bent axle housing or leaf spring hanger throwing your axle off axis?

Scooterl

Reaction score
Hopefully it’s just an axle. I recall changing axle shaft seals a few months back and having to hammer the right axle in and out while the left slid right out. Being stupid, I just hammered it back in and thought nothing of it.
Very fortunate to just have a worn tire that whole side of the rear end could have ceased up at highway speed. Frame and suspension isn't anything to take lightly

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you nailed it, if that axle shaft was difficult to get back in the tube I'd says it bent pretty good.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this morning I took it to have it inspected to see if there was any other damage. Instead of the axle, they said my frame is still bent. I still firmly believe my axle is bent. Maybe both?

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not think it's a bent axle. I bent one once when I hit a patch of ice and jumped a curb. A few days later I heard a squeaking... maybe weeks later, LOL.

Anyway, my mechanic lifted the rear axle and hit the gas and rear passenger wheel wobbled bad. Be was like, "what did you hit?" So he replaced the axle and all was well. That is also when Ifound out I had the G80. I don't think I ever looked at the bent on to see where it was bent?

Going back to your question: did your alignment shop check the rear alignment? I don't think there's anything to check on a solid axle, so perhaps the ydidn't bother. But I bet if you take it back and show them your tire they can check.

Maybe you got a bent axle housing or leaf spring hanger throwing your axle off axis?
Wouldn’t the axle housing crack before it bends? They said they did a 4 wheel alignment but they didn’t inform me either time.