Unusual Rear Tire Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think both are bent
I disagree with them saying my axles aren’t bent. Those things are supposed to slide right out once the clips are pulled. They said they looked at it, saw the frame was bent, and drove it back out of the service bay. They said they might have spent five minutes on it. I think it takes longer to go through it properly.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nah. I’m beginning to wonder if the proper fix is to peg the gas pedal with a cinder block and let it drive itself off a cliff.
Nah part it out if need be but don't kill it, that happens to too many 400s already, from trees, dodges, Fords et cetera.....
Has anyone checked to see if this tire or wheel is out of round or unbalanced?

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah part it out if need be but don't kill it, that happens to too many 400s already, from trees, dodges, Fords et cetera.....
Has anyone checked to see if this tire or wheel is out of round or unbalanced?
I don’t think I would. It’s got way too much sentimental value for me to get rid of so I’m kind of stuck with it. I was told last August that they couldn’t balance the rear right wheel. Sounds like a bent axle to me.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don’t think I would. It’s got way too much sentimental value for me to get rid of so I’m kind of stuck with it. I was told last August that they couldn’t balance the rear right wheel. Sounds like a bent axle to me.
Especially if it doesn't come in and out smoothly. Haven't pulled an axle on a 400 yet but done several older GM ones. Pull the C clip, pin and bolt, that bad boy should slide easily. Definitely replace the bearing too!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the axle housing crack before it bends? They said they did a 4 wheel alignment but they didn’t inform me either time.

Not an expert on axles, but pretty sure the metal would deform somewhat before cracking. Don't know the grade of steel, but I can't imagine it having brittle behavior such as cast iron.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not an expert on axles, but pretty sure the metal would deform somewhat before cracking. Don't know the grade of steel, but I can't imagine it having brittle behavior such as cast iron.
I must be losing my mind but I thought read diff housing was cast with welds reinforcing certain areas.