Turning and Handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looked but didn’t see a post on this. Please forgive me if I missed it but I have a 98 rcsb that i need to do some front suspension repair. Is there a rack and pinion setup available for this truck? I would like to do that to get better handling if possible. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need "rack and pinion". You need to fix whatever is loose/worn out, and maybe replace the existing steering box with a box having a faster ratio, or a stiffer torsion bar, or both.

The FIRST thing I'd do is look at the rag joint. Rag joint failures are epidemic. The preferred fix is to replace the rag joint with a metal universal joint built into a replacement lower steering shaft. This is more complicated on 95-newer trucks that have a universal joint in the steering column under the dash. I don't know what the current "hot tip" is for those vehicles.

Next would be to look at the various suspension joints--ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm. Assure that the front/rear sway bars (as applicable) have good bushings and links. Pickups don't have rear sway bars, SUVs do. My pickup didn't come with a front bar, either--but I put one on from a Treasure Yard vehicle.

Lastly, be sure the control arm bushings are in good condition. It's virtually guaranteed that they're wiped-out unless they've been replaced at least once since the truck was built. I prefer Polyurethane as they're SO much easier to install than rubber bushings--but others will disagree.

Last edited:

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very good advice and I thank you. I have done a thorough inspection and considering the truck has 164,000 mi. and the A-arm bushings show signs of dry rot and wear I plan to rebuild the front suspension. My thoughts were to look into rack and pinion but I can’t afford it. I do want to replace the steering box with a quick ratio unit and do everything with polyurethane. It’s quite a job for me considering some degree of disability but with the A-arm bushings plus pitman arm wear I’m going to rebuild everything because I don’t want to have to go back and work on it more later. I have 2” lower spindles, a-arm bushings and ball joints already. I think I will just replace the rag joint with another. The rest I will buy as I have the bucks. I’ve read threads about red-top, etc boxes that are expensive but I’ll wait until I can afford one. Is there a factory type box with quick ratio that will fit? That would be cheaper I’m sure. Oh, I have a 4” lowering kit for the rear as well. Does anybody have more ideas? I’m open to advice. Thanks again. Sorry for the long post.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need "rack and pinion". You need to fix whatever is loose/worn out, and maybe replace the existing steering box with a box having a faster ratio, or a stiffer torsion bar, or both.

The FIRST thing I'd do is look at the rag joint. Rag joint failures are epidemic. The preferred fix is to replace the rag joint with a metal universal joint built into a replacement lower steering shaft. This is more complicated on 95-newer trucks that have a universal joint in the steering column under the dash. I don't know what the current "hot tip" is for those vehicles.

Next would be to look at the various suspension joints--ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm. Assure that the front/rear sway bars (as applicable) have good bushings and links. Pickups don't have rear sway bars, SUVs do. My pickup didn't come with a front bar, either--but I put one on from a Treasure Yard vehicle.

Lastly, be sure the control arm bushings are in good condition. It's virtually guaranteed that they're wiped-out unless they've been replaced at least once since the truck was built. I prefer Polyurethane as they're SO much easier to install than rubber bushings--but others will disagree.

I will look into the u- joint steering but I’m a bit concerned about transfer of vibration to the steering wheel. More to follow. Thank you.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
454SS had a quick box but good luck finding one. Redhead can get you the quick box at the same ratio. There is no cheap way out here. Have you considered a smaller aftermarket steering wheel?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Jeep joint in mine, and there's no appreciable increase in vibration. Of course, I still have a lot of work to do on tightening up my steering, and if I put polyurethane bushings in my control arms, I suspect I might get a noticeable increase.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't seen rim and tire size mentioned here, there's a lot of compliance to get rid of there as well.