Turbo v6, my ideas and hopes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im a huge turbo guy. Love the ingenuity! This is the stuff we did in highschool for fun. (Oh god i feel old). Make sure your tubro is large enough to handle the exhaust volume. Look at a/r number to make sure its gonna work. Maybe quick reference roadkill and the ratsun turboed 4.3 with a powerstroke turbo. You may find a t4 is a little small for a v6.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I remember that episode, I'll have to rewatch it!

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i started my turbo build a few years ago on my s-10 blazer, had the turbo and all parts, started the build than some stuff came up. had to scrap the idea and well still haven't finished it. i was running a marine intake i got off ebay. you can run sl1 style injectors so you can run about anything you want. its easy wiring and you can control a lot with the 411 ecm. i got the engine all together and had it working before i started the turbo build. i wanted to work the bugs out first before adding boost. attached is my engine build on s-10 forums and some photos.

my build
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/my-4-3-cam-intake-head-build-469747/

the intake
You must be registered for see images attach

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i started my turbo build a few years ago on my s-10 blazer, had the turbo and all parts, started the build than some stuff came up. had to scrap the idea and well still haven't finished it. i was running a marine intake i got off ebay. you can run sl1 style injectors so you can run about anything you want. its easy wiring and you can control a lot with the 411 ecm. i got the engine all together and had it working before i started the turbo build. i wanted to work the bugs out first before adding boost. attached is my engine build on s-10 forums and some photos.

my build
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/my-4-3-cam-intake-head-build-469747/

the intake

Thanks, there's a lot of great info in that thread. I've looked at those marine intakes, the only one's I have found recently on Ebay do not have fuel rails.. which is kind of odd..

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I herd that there getting hard to find. I got mine back in 08 ish. It was $250 on eBay. Now they have gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's very tempting to try and grab one up, I guess with them getting so scarce it prob wouldn't be too difficult to sell later...

All my research keeps pointing to either a GT35r or 20g turbo for the 6. I dont think this will be enough turbo for a larger motor.. There's some affordable Holset HX55(cummins) turbos available which would would probably work for the larger motor better than the smaller. For the price of the Holset I could get one of the replica Gt's which have horrible reviews.. A little to think about.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave out Methanol injection as an additional fuel source. Not only can it provide the additional fueling you need but it will greatly reduce EGTs and allow you to run a ton of timing. It would also be used as a liquid intercooler for your turbo kit so you don't have to bother with an Air to Air Intercooler.

It would be the route I would go before spending money upgrading the fuel system of a V6 that you may or may not keep.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave out Methanol injection as an additional fuel source. Not only can it provide the additional fueling you need but it will greatly reduce EGTs and allow you to run a ton of timing. It would also be used as a liquid intercooler for your turbo kit so you don't have to bother with an Air to Air Intercooler.

It would be the route I would go before spending money upgrading the fuel system of a V6 that you may or may not keep.

I have been considering it, or even injecting e85 instead, which I can get much cheaper vs methanol. This engine is def a good candidate to experiment on.. with a wide band sensor in place of course.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I scored this today, a new Holset Hx55 $450.00

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been considering it, or even injecting e85 instead, which I can get much cheaper vs methanol. This engine is def a good candidate to experiment on.. with a wide band sensor in place of course.

E85 injection? Straight E85 would be pimp but would for sure require larger injectors. I guess, if you're going to upgrade them anyway, make them 30% bigger to handle E85.