Stock lm7 turbo build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romanheystek

Reaction score
I have a 95 chevy two door flare side that is on its last limbs. The motor is going (5.7) while the body and everything else is perfect. I don’t want to get a new truck because it’s my great grand father’s old truck. I’m planning on putting a lm7 or something in that realm along with a new 4l60e or a 4l80e. I’ve spent a bunch of time researching threads and so on and came to a conclusion that these blocks are pretty strong. I watched a few dudes who put a turbo on a lq9 and it made 500+hp on stock everything but injectors and fuel pumps. I want to make a street truck. Is it possible to have say 10 psi of boost on a stock lm7 with new fuel injectors and all that or is it just not practical.

I’m a teenager so the idea of a street truck is the coolest thing ever and I love this truck minus the fact that it can’t get to 60. I’m looking for 400hp numbers ish

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turbos are the best thing ever..
I build turbo trucks and cars and love them. If i can help let me know.

Injectors, fuel pump, 2 bar MAP sensor are all you need for a simple 10psi setup.
Rule of thumb for a properly sized quality turbo is 25hp per 1 psi.
So 10psi should add 250hp and 15psi will double your power that the engine makes naturally aspirated.

What year LM7? (not all LM7's are the same)
Ive made over 1500hp on a LC9 5.3 with stock bottom end in a foxbody mustang that was silly fast.

Here is the build i did a few years ago on my personal '91

I just finished a '98 C1500 with twin 66s and a 4.8L (LY2) and its a blast to drive. It makes about 680hp right now. Turbos will flow enough air for 1500hp but this truck wont handle that much right now.

If it were mine, I would find a gen 4 4.8 or 5.3 and use that. (has better connecting rods and better heads)
Here are your possibilities.
4.8L
LY2
L20

Iron 5.3
LY5
LMG
LMF
Aluminum 5.3
LH6
LC9
LH8
LH9

Romanheystek

Reaction score
thank you very much. What’s the difference in lm7 blocks like is there a certain block I should look out for? (Branding number). I’m also trying to do this on a wreck yard motor so I’ll of course put new piston rings and so on on it.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure on block casting numbers.
But 99-04.5 had small connecting rods and 04.5+ had the better rods that will hold a bunch of power

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I only reason I suggest going with Gen 4 is when you want more power you have everything you need and don't have to buy another engine.
The early gen 3 Rods usually give up around 600 crank hp.
Go ahead with a gen 4 and it will live forever at 600hp.
7k is going to be pretty tight budget unless you plan on doing all the work yourself.

Romanheystek

Reaction score
I plan on doing everything myself. I have everything I need to do it but I really don’t want to touch the trans. I don’t know much about it but I’m a few months out before I start it so I can learn up on it if you think it’s a good idea to get a 4l80e shell and just build it
Myself but on Facebook marketplace I found a bunch of build 4l60’s that are 600hp ready. I guess I need someone that’s smart to tell me what motor and trans I should use.

With the power of YouTube anything possible