Turbo v6, my ideas and hopes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where'd you acquire the Marine Intake and the Syclone manifolds? Good to see someone doing something that's not an LS motor for a change

Both of them pop up on eBay from time to time. The Sy/Ty manifolds might still be available new from GM (never checked), if I recall correctly the 4.3L marine intakes were getting a little more scarce though.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where'd you acquire the Marine Intake and the Syclone manifolds? Good to see someone doing something that's not an LS motor for a change

I found the marine manifold one Ebay for $200.00 minus fuel rail. Same for the sy ty manifolds.... which I paid quite a bit for. They're getting extremely hard to find, so you just have to constantly search. Not long ago there was a guy selling a set of sy ty manifolds, intake, turbo, all plumbing for $900.. Selling them later will not be a problem.. I'm VERY glad I did this, even in its current state the truck runs like a scalded ape and gets good mileage... It'll be even better when it's tuned.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That video excited me ever so slightly also like the custom boos gauge mount lol

sent from my glade air freshner

Lol, whats terrible is I have one of those pillar pods too.. I was too excited to wait and plumb the lines/wires and mount it up!

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both of them pop up on eBay from time to time. The Sy/Ty manifolds might still be available new from GM (never checked), if I recall correctly the 4.3L marine intakes were getting a little more scarce though.

On the Sy ty stuff that was my hope also, unfortunately I couldn't find anything from GM or even a repop.. Headers and down pipes for them are custom made per order and can run 2000 and up.. If i were to go the header route I would fab my own. I got lucky finding these manifolds.. but I also obsessed and looked CONSTANTLY for weeks.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had my first heat induced problem Wed night, the alternator died, it sits close to the turbo.. heat with this thing is something to contend with. I bought a turbo blanket, the down pipe is wrapped, I will wrap it some more.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Had my first heat induced problem Wed night, the alternator died, it sits close to the turbo.. heat with this thing is something to contend with. I bought a turbo blanket, the down pipe is wrapped, I will wrap it some more.

If you need more insulation use ceramic wool blanket . People make the when the make custom forges and kilns. Ive metaled aluminum in a oven I built the metal was completely cool to the touch on the outside while keeping 800 degrees plus inside.
It will be the last heater divider you buy it will by far meet your expectations and some.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you need more insulation use ceramic wool blanket . People make the when the make custom forges and kilns. Ive metaled aluminum in a oven I built the metal was completely cool to the touch on the outside while keeping 800 degrees plus inside.
It will be the last heater divider you buy it will by far meet your expectations and some.

I will def look into that... as I do NOT want to replace the alt too many times!

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some updates...

I put a new alternator on the truck, I went with a 140 amp external fan and so far so good. I also put a heat blanket on the turbo. Heat under the hood has dropped quite a bit.

I installed the Marine intake manifold and did the 411 PCM swap so that I can tune it using HP Tuners. The manifold went easily as expected. I bought some Earls fittings that made connecting the AN fittings to the trucks factory fuel lines a simple install. I am using a Aeromotive fuel regulator with boost reference and a sending unit for a AEM gauge. I also have an AEM wideband installed. Custom built fuel rails, 37lb @ 46psi ev-14 fuel injectors and
You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring for the PCM was fairly easy as well.. I hit a few snags getting the fuel injector wires pinned properly. I used a few different schematics along with a pinout from Lex Tech (thanks Jeff) The pin out was for a V8 so the pin numbering was not quite the same... Chased my tail a little bit and FWIW you use the same pin numbers as the V8, but you drop 7 and 8 (duh) and you disregard the color coding of the v8 and use the coding from a v6 schematic, which most I found are the same color. I did not add the wiring for the trans gear selection, using HP tuners allows me to not have it. BUT what I have found is it seems to disregard idle changes for in gear vs in park or neutral. This makes for adjusting the idle to be a bit finicky so I will likely go ahead and add that wiring As I do not like that.

Fuel inj wiring :) EV-14 injectors Uscar connections.

I installed an intercooler, for those interested in a turbo on our model of trucks a cooler will fit.. Its a tight fit but it will go I used a bar and plate cooler 28" x 7"x 2.5" supposedly good for up to 500hp which should be overkill for the 4.3. I had to trim a few fins on the grill to get the grill to bolt back in without binding but it wasnt too bad. I do not think a bigger one would fit without some massaging or losing the AC. I used 2.5" piping

Charge air plumbed. I found an old Wynjammer bonnet to use on the throttle body. (I've since added a blow off valve)

Grill installed, I went ahead and updated all of my lights too. :)

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
HP tuners has a bit of a learning curve, but its not really that bad. So lately its been tune tune tune.. Basically I drive the truck while running the scanner.. take that scanned info and change my maps around and drive again. It's pretty neat stuff. I have setup a AFR error pid using that shows me where my afr is, and where it should be. I still have quite a bit of tuning to do but so far so good. I am only running 8lbs of boost right now. But will raise it soon, I plan on adding a methanol injection system. I started with a really rich tune to keep things safe, I am leaning it out as I go.

The gear in my truck is no good for a V6. I assume its the stock 3.42. This is probably a good gear for a v8 with a little more low end torque but not a v6. IDK what GM was thinking... My truck pulls well from about 2500 rpm up it will outpull a v8 when the boost kicks in no problems there but from roughly 2500 down with no boost it just don't have it. I could probably live with the initial throttle response BUT what I dont like is how it cruises at 60-65 mph. Overdrive cruising puts the truck right in that ugly spot and when you come to hill or incline it wants more RPMS to keep a steady speed. The great thing about my truck is that when I give it just a few more rpms, it will build 1-2 lbs of boost which helps it along. I think a set of 3.73 gears will make a huge difference in it and actually keep it in a low boost which will help with power and economy!