Turbo charging a tbi 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
Fuel required for boost isn't determined by setup, a draw through is gonna need just as much as a blow through.
You'll hear any turbo whistle if you spool it up!
Also, that is super cool that you have pictures. In 1982 that was very impressive.

Thank you. The following summer I lowered the truck with a 4/6 slam. Not many late model trucks on the east coast area lowered at the time.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Since you have a 1995 truck, it is a bit more involved than a normal LS swap though. You cannot use the current 1995 1-yr only transmission, the wiring is ever so slightly different from a 88-94 and a 96-98. I have most of my wiring done for the LS swap that I am doing, so if you need help with it, I am willing to help.

I however am not keeping factory gauges, A/C, electronic trans, and a bunch of other creature comforts that our trucks have(A/C,Power Brakes, and more). My truck is going to be a weekend warrior only I have my Suburban that I drive daily.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you just want to sound like a turbo, weld it in the exhaust under the cab and tie the compressor side into the HVAC dash vents so your hair can blow in the wind and you can look like your going fast when its spooling up. No need to mess with the injectors or anything else, problem solved.

Other than that build it right and dont chase a sound or a look.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would do a LS swap.

Or if you’re partial to OE old school look get a 383 kit and a set of aluminum heads do a roller cam and work the intake and exhaust and TBI.
You’ll be money ahead and have plenty of power over a turbo kit imo

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really behind on this one..
But nobody questioned the turbo size? 88mm on a 5.7L would be wayy over sized and controlling it to only 5psi would need 2 decent size wastegates.

Ive got a couple cars with 5.3s and 88mm. it would be fun in a truck with a 5.7, it would get in boost tomorrow maybe.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
But nobody questioned the turbo size? 88mm on a 5.7L would be wayy over sized and controlling it to only 5psi would need 2 decent size wastegates.

Ive got a couple cars with 5.3s and 88mm. it would be fun in a truck with a 5.7, it would get in boost tomorrow maybe.

You're like the only one on here turbo-fluent enough to know.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you explain why an 88 would be good on a 5.3 but too big on a (larger) 5.7? Not being d i c k i s h, genuinely asking.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you explain why an 88 would be good on a 5.3 but too big on a (larger) 5.7? Not being d i c k i s h, genuinely asking.
Becauase it makes atleast 12-16 psi on a 5.3L. He is saying you would have to bleed off almost all the exhaust drive pressure to hold it down to 5 psi.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Becauase it makes atleast 12-16 psi on a 5.3L. He is saying you would have to bleed off almost all the exhaust drive pressure to hold it down to 5 psi.

He also stated it would spool late, which means it spools even later on a 5.3. Maybe the 5.3s he's referring to spin up to 7000 and now that I'm paying more attention to the title, this is a TBI 5.7.

Last edited: