Tuners and "credits"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Credits give access to specific vin number for programming that ecu. Once purchased, can change things as needed. Buying more credits can unlock ability to tune all ecu's of certain year and model vehicle and so on. Old versions of efi live were unrestricted, but only early vehicles can be tuned with it.
Thanks! I had searched google, but couldn't find an answer(or just missed it).

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still don't get it. Who do the credits go to? The tuner company? And which vin do you use, the intended vehicle or the vehicle the ecm came out of?

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
you would have to pull the vin from the ECM that you are working with if it is a swapped veh(LS in a GMT400) falls in this category. If you download HP Tuners you should be able to scan the ECM if you made a bench tuner pretty easy, if not you'd have to wait to do it once the ECM is in a running veh and do it that way.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIU it's always better to flash your ECM on a bench, with a known good power supply, instead of in the vehicle. If you get a power drop or anything while flashing, you get a brick for an ECM.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok when it comes to buying something, do people like HP or EFI live, or what?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I like the HP tuners simply because I know them better.

The credits go to the company like any other computer program. It's a licensing fee.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they were requiring people to buy multiple credits to tune newer vehicles. What a scam! "We're short on cash! Quick, how can we print more money?"

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were up to me, I'd prefer to tune with a WBO2 because it'll work with WOT too.