HP Tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to get ahold of Lextech and get our PCM pin-out for the 96' truck to 0411 for $20. Next step is to do some research. I'm looking to run the truck on the 0411 PCM with HP tuners. I would like to run the engine off of speed density and a 3 bar MAP sensor and IAT sensor. Does anyone have any experience in HP tuners to run this set-up? Is it reasonably easy to follow and tune? I've helped my friends run speed density set-ups on their DSMs (GSX and Talon AWD Tsi) and I like the set-up in ECM link so far. Curious if it's applicable for the HP Tuners side of the house. I'm eventually going to install a marine intake and a 76/78mm rear mount turbo but I want to get all my ducks in a row before I put the truck down for the swap.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I scrounged through HP tuner's website and found my answer. For those interested, the 0411 PCM can run with speed density. Supposedly the 98-99 LS1 engine file runs a speed density availability alongside a 24X set-up. I'll download that file once I purchase the HP tuners dongle ect. To run speed density I'll need to disable the MAF codes and upload the 3 bar MAP sensor file and install a 0-5V GM MAP sensor.

I'm going to do some research and see if the AEM 3 BAR MAP sensor will linearly output the same voltages. I've seen a bunch of failures in the DSM community on the GM 3 bar sensors and I want to avoid that if possible.

I have a marine intake manifold but I'm also interested in installing a ramjet intake as well. I'm curious if they make a larger throttle body for it though as my current throttle body on my whipple set-up appears to be larger in size than the ramjet set-up. It may also be easier to complete the swap with sticking to the marine intake though. I'm only interested in the ramjet as it looks to be more of an efficient piece than the marine intake. I know these swaps have been done many times but they're isn't much hard info on both sides for pros and cons of each to plan out my next move.

After I install the 0411 PCM I'll see if I can raise the RPM limiter to 6K and see how the truck reacts. Once I install the 24x reluctor wheel I'll then install a GM LT1 hotcam or a higher duration cam for a big turbo build. This truck will not be used to tow so I'm not worried about that effort anymore. I'm looking to go down this path of modifying the L31 platform to maximize it's performance and overcome the challenges of the original design. I do understand that ease of swapping in an LS platform and I respect it's capabilities as I've done a few in the past but nothing is more interesting to me than seeing something like this in the engine bay.

End goal will be a forged 383 stroker, aluminum vortec heads, some type of intake and big rear mounted turbo for 20+psi of boost. The truck is more of a show piece to lure more business my way for performance modifications and engine building. The area I live in is littered with military guys and retirees looking to go fast and finish their dream rides. The better I'm able to show my skill set the more success I'll have in advertising myself at local car meets and performance shops.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
98-99 LS OS is not what you want. EFILive will do boost on a van OS. What are your custom operating system options? You should be looking at 01+.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you use the marine intake you should keep the Bosch TMAP that comes with the manifold. It is a 1 bar sensor but there are 2-5 bar variants that are all otherwise identical so trivial to swap. The Bosch TMAP can be read by the PCM the same as an OEM MAP sensor just don't use the T terminal (pin 2). You can get a harness and repin or a pigtail and splice for the TMAP (I did the latter but should have done the former for cleaner install but in a loom looks no different) for the ground/power/signal (pins 1/3/4 respectively) to their respective MAP wires to the PCM. I have had no issues going on three years and didn't have to mess with modifying the sensor mount to the manifold. The Bosch TMAP is supposedly a superior sensor to the vortec OEM as well. For a base tune for 24X use a 2002 Silverado 5.3L instead of an F body as the pinned write-up did since the AC and EGR (if you keep EGR) controls are the same. In fact the wiring is entirely identical to the 411 van except for the added wire for the coils and the tach. HP Tuners has a library that will allow you to get base (i.e. stock) tunes for free.