Trouble changing fuel pump, what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, thought this was gonna be simpler but im working on a michigan truck not a florida truck. My last pump change was easier.

The rear tank strap bolt just wont budge. The screw turns, but will not back out or go in. I've hit it up with penetrating oil, tried prying in various area as I loosen bolt but im getting nothing. it's in the full tightened position now (even though there is a gap) so theres no maneuvering the tank through the strap etc. Frame rail is tight against the bed, no getting on other side of the bolt that i can see.

Any ideas? could really use any advice. thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you get a pry bar in and take some weight off the threads? Looks to me like that's what's got it in a bind.

Attachments

• IMG_1866.HEIC_LI small.jpg
    IMG_1866.HEIC_LI small.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its got a nut of some kind spinning in the frame. i tried dropping box ends over it to get a bite but it feels round :mad:

just going to have to cut this phucker somehow

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pretty sure this is what im dealing with. severed at yellow line. rusted nut spinning cant get a bite on it
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
you can cut the strap to get the fuel tank out and get some more room to cut the bolt with a sawzall or torch. Just need to get a new strap then which I usually get anyway

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I am glad my Michigan truck wasn't terrible when I did my tank/pump. But yeah, it sounds like the u-nut broke. Cut the bolt between the strap and cross member and push the broken u nut upwards. Dorman sells replacement hardware.