Trouble changing fuel pump, what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
you can cut the strap to get the fuel tank out and get some more room to cut the bolt with a sawzall or torch. Just need to get a new strap then which I usually get anyway

I would not cut an original GM tank strap that's still in serviceable condition. It shouldn't be too hard to cut that bolt with a hacksaw blade in one of those smaller frames/handles. Just wear safety glasses so no rust/metal ends up in the eyes.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Cut the bolt or the strap to get the tank out of the way and replace.

I replaced both bolts with studs with nuts on the bottom. makes putting the straps back in a bunch easier.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cut that bolt with a hacksaw blade in one of those smaller frames/handles.

Great tool to have…

There’s a slimmer version on Amazon. Google search for “hacksaw blade handle”.

Last edited:

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure how much room there is in/around there, but the way the threads are exposed it seems like it might be a good job for a small pair of bolt cutters.

Food for thought.

Best of luck.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In MY driveway, I'd hit the bolt with an impact wrench just for giggles, and if it didn't immediately spin out of that clip-nut, the bolt would be eaten alive by a die grinder and abrasive wheel. Naturally, I'd make sure the gas tank fill tube and cap were in place, and the vent hoses connected so the sparks from the grinding didn't ignite fuel vapors.

For fuque's sake, don't cut the strap (expensive) when bolts are cheap and easy to source.

The clip-nuts are available at any parts store in America...if you know who to ask. Some of those clip-nuts have a special shape to the clip that's tougher to find. When I replaced the leaf springs on my Nova, two of three clip nuts on one side were damaged. I had to fix one, and fabricate another clip and braze a nut to it; there weren't suitable clip-nuts available without substantial order-and-wait delay.

You must be registered for see images attach

(The middle clip nut got a better braze after the photo was taken.)

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Any one of these methods would work, but I’m pretty sure if I knew the clip was broken, I could reach inside with bent needle nose pliers and hold broken half while turning bolt out. Or pry it tight to inside frame and remove bolt!