Trouble changing fuel pump, what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try taking the bed off. The you will have full access for repairs

Agreed, it's not particularly hard... if the mounting bolts can be removed, anyway. Just don't forget to remove any ground connection(s) (from frame to bed) and disconnect the weatherpak connector for the taillights.

I've done it both ways; believe me, it's a LOT more comfortable / easy / productive use of your time working from above with the bed moved aside.

And if you're ambitious you can fix those bolts on the straps so that they won't be a problem in later years, should you want access then... or not :) I'm the kinda guy who would replace them and use stainless hardware, because I like to fix things that aren't broken just to make them "better".

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not particularly hard... if the mounting bolts can be removed, anyway. Just don't forget to remove any ground connection(s) (from frame to bed) and disconnect the weatherpak connector for the taillights.

I've done it both ways; believe me, it's a LOT more comfortable / easy / productive use of your time working from above with the bed moved aside.

And if you're ambitious you can fix those bolts on the straps so that they won't be a problem in later years, should you want access then... or not :) I'm the kinda guy who would replace them and use stainless hardware, because I like to fix things that aren't broken just to make them "better".
I’m not disagreeing, I would’ve also gone that route from the start. I’m sure you could take care of a few other things as well with bed off.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
These aren't standard j-nuts/u-nuts. Dorman actually has a kit, but the amazon reviews weren't great.

Stringer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input!!

I was able to use a full size hacksaw (i have that little version as well but this fit just fine) and cut the bolt in about 60 seconds. I messed with it with every tool, from every angle and this was the best way. I'd like to say i wrapped things up quickly but that wasn't the case. It's just that every bolt and connection on this truck is rusted, and i see that i've been lucky to have only worked on zero-rust vehicles in past.

I had to make a bit of a drive to get a dorman 55157. Dorman bolts are smaller in length than OEM, and I wasn't able to thread it into rear strap. Thankfully my front strap was working good and i used the longer bolt from the front to use in the rear. inside of tank looks clean af. used vasaline on new gasket, cleaned all grounds and used a dab of dielectric on them.

Very pleased with the delphi hp1001 purchase (tag on my pump harness happened to be VRY). Truck started up instantly, sounds much better than it did b4 and whine is gone. Old pump filter on 1995 pump had a giant hole in it, and after taking it out of tank basically disintergrated. I changed the fuel filter to a new wix a couple days ago.

Seriously though with the bed removal / tank drop debate, it's not even close. Dropping the tank is much easier. Those who say otherwise have not done both.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See if you can tighten it back up. Then use a impact to unbolt it. The bolt spins faster

if you can’t …just cut it off get another clip and bolt.

nevermind saw your post.

as far as bed removal….that’s really subjective…..

Last edited: