Transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 05 chevy tahoe 4x4 and iam getting a vibration on the drivers side and when I go from neutral to reverse I get this clunk noise from the drivers side also could someone please help me would that be a transfer case

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd get under and with flashlight, all u joints , inspect, touch , wiggle, how much movement? Include the rear diff pinion slack, play also .

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can continue with the same thread, posting. Multiple postings on same issue are not cool.
And front shaft and both half shafts? Does vibration follow eng RPM or does it increase with decrease with wheel speed? Vibration in steering wheel, or seat of pants thing? Two different animals. Check front wheels bearings? Front suspension?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked all my ujoints all the way back and I tried to move and wiggle them but everything was tight
If you aren't removing the caps, you're not REALLY checking them. Of course, nobody removes caps to check joints except for those caps that slide off when the driveshaft is removed from the vehicle. Point is, even the minimal extra labor to remove the shaft--while helpful--doesn't guarantee that the joints can be properly inspected.

Trying to verify the condition of U-joints without removing the driveshaft is hopeless. Unless the joints are ready to break, you're not likely to find problems with them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to verify the condition of U-joints without removing the driveshaft is hopeless.
Yup. I've had more u-joints fail by tightening up and getting notchy than loosening up. Just yesterday my wife's Chrysler started humming at speed on the throttle, and I'm pretty sure when I take the driveshaft loose I'm going to have a stiff u-joint.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you aren't removing the caps, you're not REALLY checking them. Of course, nobody removes caps to check joints except for those caps that slide off when the driveshaft is removed from the vehicle. Point is, even the minimal extra labor to remove the shaft--while helpful--doesn't guarantee that the joints can be properly inspected.

Trying to verify the condition of U-joints without removing the driveshaft is hopeless. Unless the joints are ready to break, you're not likely to find problems with them.

Yup. I've had more u-joints fail by tightening up and getting notchy than loosening up. Just yesterday my wife's Chrysler started humming at speed on the throttle, and I'm pretty sure when I take the driveshaft loose I'm going to have a stiff u-joint.
This is quite helpful. And here I thought I‘d checked mine. Evidently not.

Since reading the above, and two days after my starter unexpectedly went kaput, I’ve been thinking about U-joints in a ‘wondering what else is lurking, ready to break‘ kind of way.

I’ll not be towing any more until April. Properly inspecting the U-joints is now on the list for this winter.