Towing Long Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My locker “ratchets” around corners, basically opens when foot is off the pedal. When I hit the gas, the wheels will lock. That’s why when I was towing even with just the trailer I take the corners slow. I’ll be getting that truck 1/13ish 18 hrs away so I’ll have to post when I do it.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is they're unlocked with your foot off the gas and locked with your foot on the gas. Am I missing something?
Yes. The Detroit Locker is not directional- it acts mechanically the same regardless of torque input. Think of it this way; taking your foot off the gas has precisely the same effect in the locker as shifting between forward and reverse from a stop.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. The Detroit Locker is not directional- it acts mechanically the same regardless of torque input. Think of it this way; taking your foot off the gas has precisely the same effect in the locker as shifting between forward and reverse from a stop.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Now I'm lost as to why these diffs are used in tube frame race cars? They seem more like an off road or drag racing type diff.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm lost as to why these diffs are used in tube frame race cars? They seem more like an off road or drag racing type diff.
Complex answer. Probably mostly because they act as a spool with any wheel slippage, but don't drive the car to the outside of the turns on trailing throttle, may even help the car turn. <shrug> guessing as I'm not a circle track guy.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, they are definitely NOT open. They are a spool 95% of the time, then ratchet rather violently when enough differential torque is applied to uncouple the teeth. I.E. when you are idling going around a tight corner. If you are in the gas it'll stay locked because the cross-pins are slight wedge shape so that torque adds to the locking strength.

Real Detroits are fantastic! Lunchbox lockers are total horse-sht! I've owned both.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, they are definitely NOT open. They are a spool 95% of the time, then ratchet rather violently when enough differential torque is applied to uncouple the teeth. I.E. when you are idling going around a tight corner. If you are in the gas it'll stay locked because the cross-pins are slight wedge shape so that torque adds to the locking strength.

Real Detroits are fantastic! Lunchbox lockers are total horse-sht! I've owned both.

Ahh, so that shape must act like a transmission syncro does to keep itself engaged. Now I'm curious to experience one. I wonder if torque is applied the other way, i.e. threshold braking, would it stay locked that way too?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Threshold braking? Like breaking with an open diff with 1 tire off the ground to send a small percentage power to the traction tire?

Detroits stay locked with 1 tire off the ground because there's no co-rotating torque forces between the two tires like when steering on dry pavement.

You definitely should find somebody that has one... or better yet, install one in your dually! They are actually really cheap and easy in 14b FF's compared to any other axle under these trucks.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I scored my Detroit locker in a junkyard already in a 14 bolt rear end. My 10 bolt blew over a year ago and wanted to convert to 14 bolt so I got really lucky. Best upgrade I did for my truck.

BigReb95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gotta say tho, this forum helped me out with the 10-14 bolt swap. I couldn’t get the patterns or clearances right rebuilding it myself so I had to have a pro set it up for me. But everything else was cake thanks to this forum.