Too Much Steering Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
...or make two adjustments in the correct order, and see what happens.

I tried setting mine by the book and it sucked. Had to pull some bearing preload out so it'd function which meant over center was too loose. It did give me a feel for the bearing preload setting though so that's how I'll be setting my trucks from now on as far as bearing preload goes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...or make two adjustments in the correct order, and see what happens.

Are you saying a rebuilt box can lose it's adjustment? I don't really have any reason to believe that readjusting a box that was supposedly rebuilt would start having again if re-adjusted. It's my understanding that the boxes are not properly adjusted on the vehicle, and require a small torque wrench to adjust.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Early steering boxes (1995 and earlier I think) have a heavier valving than the 1996+ trucks. I haven't gotten a clear answer as to if this is because of EVO or if it is because of the pump change between TBI and Vortec trucks. I have an early box on my vortec-powered Tahoe Limited, and it has what I would call a good amount of assist. It actually has some weight to it and you can tell what the tires are doing. My 1998 K1500 with functioning EVO has what I would call way too much assist, but it's just how these trucks are.

I have bought parts store boxes in the past, and all of them have needed a sector gear adjustment because they were all too loose. Your mileage may vary, but I haven't been too impressed with them, and it's probably worth ponying up for a higher quality box.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a factory 3500 box and pump on my 98 1500 and it's excellent. Effortless steering in the parking lot and a good, weighted feel out on the road. My dually feels dull compared to it.

kunstmilch

Reaction score
I had my entire system redone, and it had to go in over and over for warrantee. The mechanic finally told me to **** off. I ended up taking it to a very good dealer (though skeptical) and they had to redo the whole also, they showed me that the system was never fully done correctly as a system and it screwed up the other parts and threw it off. They ended up replacing the power steering pump with new ACDelco and it should have all been good. Then it acted up again...turned out the old pump had bits contaminate the whole system, so they replaced the whole system twice and flushed both times. Now it drives beautifully. What Im trying to say is, its a system, not a single part. The issue could be your suspension is set up for 1500 while power steering is set up of 2500, as the parts wouldn't resist movement. My system is all top end Moog parts and the steering is perfect.

div4scpro

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 and never really liked what I thought was the over sensitive nature of the steering at . About 15 years ago I found a post somewhere that there is a solenoid or resistor under the drivers side dash that controls the variable assist of the steering system. I removed the solenoid and have never looked back. The amount of steering assist feels appropriate at low speeds and and not over twitchy at highway speeds.
I will try to find the information you used and send it. If nothing else you can isolate whether your problems are electronic or mechanical in nature.

98 K1500 L31

Reaction score
I just recently deleted my EVO due to really twitchy steering a couple of months ago. First I just unplugged the sensor under the wheel, but it was super light steering. Also since it is now full boost my pressure line only lasted a couple of months before it blew. I didnt like the design of the GM kit as it is just one more place to leak and very expensive. So I made my own by using a 96 pressure line as well as a speedway power steering adapter which is for a mustang 2 steering conversion. It drops the gpm a little and screws right into the pump. No more twitchy steering and because the adapter drops the gpm the system is not overboosted anymore.