Time to get a tune up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soon I'll have my injector spider replaced. While the truck is in the shop, would it be a good idea to replace spark plugs and wires, maybe also the distributor cap and rotor and maybe the ignition coil?

I had all of those replaced in January 2017. The truck has driven about 30k miles since.
Should I take care of ignition componets now?

Also, which options (ordering from Rockauto) would you recommend for each of these items?
Particularly about spark plugs - are AC Delco "Gold Rapidfire" Platinum OK?
BTW, the engine runs mostly on LPG (if anyone from Europe is reading this and has some recommendation for spark plugs in this case).

Also, should I also get any new gaskets for when injector spider gets replaced? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know that much about working on engines; I have to supply my mechanic with all the needed parts, and I have to get them shipped from US to Europe...

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If you already have platinum plugs you won't need new ones for another 112,000 KMs. Platinum plugs from anybody are fine. I prefer NGK plugs. Plug wires sure. Any brand just get spiral core. I'm partial to Taylor brand wires. Make sure the new cap has stainless steel, copper or brass terminals. The aluminum ones don't last. You will need upper to lower gaskets if they don't come with the new spider. Do a new fuel filter to protect that new spider. Change it once a year and you can't go wrong.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soon I'll have my injector spider replaced. While the truck is in the shop, would it be a good idea to replace spark plugs and wires, maybe also the distributor cap and rotor and maybe the ignition coil?

I had all of those replaced in January 2017. The truck has driven about 30k miles since.
Should I take care of ignition componets now?

Also, which options (ordering from Rockauto) would you recommend for each of these items?
Particularly about spark plugs - are AC Delco "Gold Rapidfire" Platinum OK?
BTW, the engine runs mostly on LPG (if anyone from Europe is reading this and has some recommendation for spark plugs in this case).

Also, should I also get any new gaskets for when injector spider gets replaced? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know that much about working on engines; I have to supply my mechanic with all the needed parts, and I have to get them shipped from US to Europe...

Depends on the quality of the parts installed 30k ago.

Plug wires AC Delco OEM or Professional.
Plugs AC Delco platinum or irdium.
Cap and rotor AC Delco or Delphi.
Upper intake gaskets, although the existing gaskets might be reusable, FEL-PRO MS90269. Although for future reference you may want to buy the upper and lower kit FEL-PRO MIK98000T.

What brand of spider are you installing?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you already have platinum plugs you won't need new ones for another 112,000 KMs. Platinum plugs from anybody are fine. I prefer NGK plugs. Plug wires sure. Any brand just get spiral core. I'm partial to Taylor brand wires. Make sure the new cap has stainless steel, copper or brass terminals. The aluminum ones don't last. You will need upper to lower gaskets if they don't come with the new spider. Do a new fuel filter to protect that new spider. Change it once a year and you can't go wrong.

Seriously, change the fuel filter every 15k and a quality fuel pump will last, like, forever........

Or every year, whichever comes first...:)

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As per above, I'm in Scotland and run LPG.
At 30,000 miles your ignition components should be fine. My truck has done 44,000 miles and is still on its original cap and wires as far as I know. I do intend changing the cap soonish though - and maybe the wires. When I do decide to change the cap, I'll take the recommendations from this forum and get one with brass terminals - not another one with terminals made of an alloy of aluminium and chalk.

You haven't said the total miles your truck has done or why you are replacing the spider. I just changed the inlet manifold gaskets (they were shot) but skipped changing the spider as I run mainly on LPG. I did have to run on gasoline last week and it ran sweetly.

What I'm saying here is unless you absolutely need to change the spider don't. Instead, leave it until you have to change the inlet manifold gaskets and do it then (if at all). And change the inlet manifold gaskets at the first sign of them failing.

MatSLO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the quality of the parts installed 30k ago.

These were purchased and installed in January 2017:
- igniton coil Standard Motor products DR-49T
- distributor cap AC Delco D329A; rotor AC Delco D465
- intake manifold gasket Fel-Pro MS98000T
- valve cover gasket Fel-Pro VS50293R
- spark plugs: AC Delco 41-993 "GM Original Equipment; Iridium; Platinum Plated"
- spark plug wires: bought it off a guy in my country who had a vehicle with a 350 SBC and for some reason didn't need them anymore; there's still a forum post when he was offering them for sale: http://v8clubforum.mojforum.si/v8clubforum-about3299-0.html
(in the pics you can see it says on them "Dragon Fire HighEnergy Ignition 8.0 mm"

What brand of spider are you installing?

I'm still deciding. Rockauto has Standard Motor Products FJ504 for around 230 Euro (plus shipping and import tax) and I might go with this.
Is this the same as ACDelco 217-3029, just rebranded?

I've heard that Delphi is the best, but it's eye-watering 500 bucks.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/123480823365?epid=75320602&hash=item1cc007d645:g:x5MAAOSwVYtb5lYP

On Ebay, there's a cheap option https://www.ebay.com/itm/303940796294 but I worry this might be some Chinese crap that I should stay away from (OTOH, this might come from the same assembly line as brand-name stuff and might be just as fine , who knows)

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These were purchased and installed in January 2017:
- igniton coil Standard Motor products DR-49T
- distributor cap AC Delco D329A; rotor AC Delco D465
- intake manifold gasket Fel-Pro MS98000T
- valve cover gasket Fel-Pro VS50293R
- spark plugs: AC Delco 41-993 "GM Original Equipment; Iridium; Platinum Plated"
- spark plug wires: bought it off a guy in my country who had a vehicle with a 350 SBC and for some reason didn't need them anymore; there's still a forum post when he was offering them for sale: http://v8clubforum.mojforum.si/v8clubforum-about3299-0.html
(in the pics you can see it says on them "Dragon Fire HighEnergy Ignition 8.0 mm"

I'm still deciding. Rockauto has Standard Motor Products FJ504 for around 230 Euro (plus shipping and import tax) and I might go with this.
Is this the same as ACDelco 217-3029, just rebranded?

I've heard that Delphi is the best, but it's eye-watering 500 bucks.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/123480823365?epid=75320602&hash=item1cc007d645:g:x5MAAOSwVYtb5lYP

On Ebay, there's a cheap option https://www.ebay.com/itm/303940796294 but I worry this might be some Chinese crap that I should stay away from (OTOH, this might come from the same assembly line as brand-name stuff and might be just as fine , who knows)

I would prefer a Delphi spider, but it appears they are not currently being manufactured (I hope that's a temporary thing) and although the Delphi has always been expensive it appears the price has gone up for the remaining stock. A friend installed the Standard Motor Products spider in his Suburban about 4 years ago and has had no problems. Hopefully SMP has kept their quality control up to *****.

My experience with the Vortec 5.0/5.7 is somewhere between 30k-50k its time for a tuneup. You're on the right track with parts, except I'm not familiar with the Dragon Fire plug wires.

I'll sound like a broken record here, but one of the best maintenance items you can do for your Tahoe is to keep the 4L60E trans fluid BRIGHT RED. Install a drain plug or buy a trans pan with a drain and every second or third engine oil change drain the ATF out of the pan and refill the trans.

Last edited: