The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lance

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O.k. thanks for the help 1badgmc, 1 thing djm has going for them that I do like is that they give a lifetime warrenty!!!

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Ok, Im having a huge brain fart and was wondering if you can use 2" drop shackles with 4 inch drop springs in the rear? My truck is going on 250,000 miles and the rear springs are extremely weak and should be replaced.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, Im having a huge brain fart and was wondering if you can use 2" drop shackles with 4 inch drop springs in the rear? My truck is going on 250,000 miles and the rear springs are extremely weak and should be replaced.

Absolutely you can. I ran 4" leafs with 2" shackles and 2" hangers for an 8" drop.

Yours will be a 6" drop, though, so you will need a c-notch.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Thanks, I know I would have to run a notch. All I have seen is everyone doing a flip kit in the rear. Thats why I asked.

Sideways the Seven

It's all Gravy, baby.
Reaction score
Sorry if it's been posted before, but I'm having trouble locating them. Who makes drop kits for the Suburban and who makes the "best" one? How low can I go before I need to notch the frame?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry if it's been posted before, but I'm having trouble locating them. Who makes drop kits for the Suburban and who makes the "best" one? How low can I go before I need to notch the frame?

All the major manufacturers (BellTech, DJM, Western Chassis, etc.) Make Suburban kits. Front components interchange with pick-ups as do the rear shackles. Hangers and flip kits/notches are specific, though.

Sideways the Seven

It's all Gravy, baby.
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm looking for a conservative drop-something like a 3/4 on my truck. What's the best way to do it? Spindles and springs up front with a drop leafs in back? Would I need a notch to go that low? I don't really haul anything with my truck so I wouldn't have to worry about decreased payload or anything like that.

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2" Hotchkis coils and 2" BellTech shackles on my Suburban right now. The coils gave a 3" drop and the shackles gave a 1.5" drop, so I now have 2" of rake. I have a set of DJM hangers to install that should give another 1" in the rear giving me a total of 3/2.5. If I get some helper bags for the rear, I might pull a leaf for another inch or so, but I'll see how it sits with the hangers installed before I decide for sure.

You can still get the Hotchkis coils dirt cheap at $75/pair. I don't know about the Suburban rear leafs. I know they are pricey and I just fear putting a softer spring back there with all that weight. 4" without a notch is good, though.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
What would be wrong with using the upper control arms from the 4x4 gmt400's as a replacement "tubular" a-arms on a 2x4 for lowering or bagging? It would make it look cleaner and is much less expensive than something like strong arms or other tubular arms, even if its going to be a static lowering job.