The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996*GMC*SHORTBED

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it used to be pretty low. i dont know how low exactly. i was wondering how to go about lowing the back end to where it used to be.

When you can tell us how low you'd like to go from stock height, we can help you. There's too many variables.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a dumb Q?what does OBS stand for?thanks

Old BodyStyle. Referring to the GMT-400 trucks. The term originated from the early days of Fullsizechevy.com when the GMT-800 trucks were still brand new. These were the 2 primary generations of trucks owned by the membership at the time, and so OBS and NBS (New BodyStyle) were born. The abbreviations have just kind of stuck and made their way around the web to other truck forums as well.

peterbilt1387

Reaction score
How low can i go on 265/35/22 and will i have to roll my fenders with a 4/6 drop?

91 c1500 ext cab

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question, I have 2" bell tech drop spindles on a 99 2 dr OBS in front and some drop shackles(if that is what the leaf spring bolts to) in the rear. I have no idea what size but the truck has a slight rake towards the front so it is probly only an inch or two.
My question is how can i drop it just a little more without having to do a flip kit and cheap. I was thinking 1 inch springs in the front and i have no idea in the rear.
I just bought a set of 20x7 wheels and 275/45/20 tires and am looking for a good looking stance without rubbing tires and still being able to go over speed bumps without any issue.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question, I have 2" bell tech drop spindles on a 99 2 dr OBS in front and some drop shackles(if that is what the leaf spring bolts to) in the rear. I have no idea what size but the truck has a slight rake towards the front so it is probly only an inch or two.

Most drop shackles are adjustable from 1-2" and most people install them in the 2" hole. That's likely where you're at, but without actually seeing the setup, it's hard to say for certain.

My question is how can i drop it just a little more without having to do a flip kit and cheap. I was thinking 1 inch springs in the front and i have no idea in the rear.
I just bought a set of 20x7 wheels and 275/45/20 tires and am looking for a good looking stance without rubbing tires and still being able to go over speed bumps without any issue.

You can get a 1" drop spring for the front and add a set of hangers to the rear to give you a 3/4 total drop. Hangers are relatively inexpensive, albeit a pain to install.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohhh... thanks for that. I will look up to see what kinds of hangers i can find. Any suggestions would be appreciated as far as, "steer away from...", or what worked great helps too. Thanks guys