The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long box or short?
Seems to me that there was some discussion a while ago about long boxes having a problem with clearance between the springs & the rear cross member when lowered.
I've only had short box 400's so I didn't pay close enough attention.
I've done crew cab duallys and don't recall it being an issue.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long box or short?
Seems to me that there was some discussion a while ago about long boxes having a problem with clearance between the springs & the rear cross member when lowered.
I've only had short box 400's so I didn't pay close enough attention.
Yea it’s a short box. Shackles are set to the “lowest” setting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're just looking for a 2" rear drop, shackles are a much more simple & a w-a-a-a-y easier install.
That driver side hangar next to the gas tank is a major PitA.

Is it easier with the bed removed or at least lifted.

Still thinking of doing my poor man 2/4...shackles and hangers and then just cut the stock springs

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it easier with the bed removed or at least lifted?
Absolutely. It’s not fun trying to cut, grind and punch rivets with your head stuffed inside the wheel well.

And no matter how well you pressure wash the underside of your truck before you start working, you’ll still end up with dirt in your ears, eyes, nose and mouth.

An angle grinder with a cut off wheel and an air hammer with a sharp chisel and punch worked best for me.

Archaic2021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely. It’s not fun trying to cut, grind and punch rivets with your head stuffed inside the wheel well.

And no matter how well you pressure wash the underside of your truck before you start working, you’ll still end up with dirt in your ears, eyes, nose and mouth.

An angle grinder with a cut off wheel and an air hammer with a sharp chisel and punch worked best for me.

I need to do some major cleaning anyways. last time I pulled the bed it took all of about 30 minutes by myself.

I was gonna do just a 1/2 for this daily driver but I'm trying to talk myself into going ahead and doing the 2/4..Or at least for now doing the 1/2 and then later going 3/4

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do some major cleaning anyways. last time I pulled the bed it took all of about 30 minutes by myself.

I was gonna do just a 1/2 for this daily driver but I'm trying to talk myself into going ahead and doing the 2/4..Or at least for now doing the 1/2 and then later going 3/4
I did 3/4 on mine. The front is the easy part. Rides like a stock truck.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you do spring and spindle or cut a spring.
3” lower control arms from DJM but also the uppers to correct the geometry. Stock travel, no trimming, no rubbing, stock shock length and can run 15” wheels with 275/60. I got the part numbers from their website and ordered from summit.

Then the shackle and hanger kit in the rear.