The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I yanked the carpet out and found this underneath
You must be registered for see images attach

Does it look like it's heater core related leak? I e of the previous owners has bypassed the heater core, so assuming it was leaking.

Second question, I am installing Siless heat/sound barrier stuff. Do I need to try to save the factory material as well? It's got a pretty rough smell to it.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New carpet time, the under padding also. Fix the heater core. That's just crazy. Treat that corrosion so you don't loose the floor. If it was me that carpet/padding just becomes a petri dish experiment for god knows what. That's what i would do. Good luck.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I yanked the carpet out and found this underneath

Does it look like it's heater core related leak? I e of the previous owners has bypassed the heater core, so assuming it was leaking.

Second question, I am installing Siless heat/sound barrier stuff. Do I need to try to save the factory material as well? It's got a pretty rough smell to it.

Second question first. I would order up the sound deadening package from LMC or similar and get rid of the smelly stuff. You don't want to go to all that trouble and end up with a smelly truck.

The leak issue could be the infamous bolt that @someotherguy wrote up sometime back. There is one screw in the cowl area that sometimes leaks water into the cab and is fixed by caulking around it. This could be your problem and the PO just thought it was the heater core. I would hook up the heater and see how much water you get. If there is no immediate evidence I would look for that screw issue. .

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Second question first. I would order up the sound deadening package from LMC or similar and get rid of the smelly stuff. You don't want to go to all that trouble and end up with a smelly truck.

The leak issue could be the infamous bolt that @someotherguy wrote up sometime back. There is one screw in the cowl area that sometimes leaks water into the cab and is fixed by caulking around it. This could be your problem and the PO just thought it was the heater core. I would hook up the heater and see how much water you get. If there is no immediate evidence I would look for that screw issue. .

The PO removed all the hoses to the heater core, plugged the hole in the manifold and capped off the radiator. I guess I can try to rig up a hose to the core?

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New carpet time, the under padding also. Fix the heater core. That's just crazy. Treat that corrosion so you don't loose the floor. If it was me that carpet/padding just becomes a petri dish experiment for god knows what. That's what i would do. Good luck.

Already have a new carpet and a can of POR-15. Need to take a wire brush to the floor first.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Already have a new carpet and a can of POR-15. Need to take a wire brush to the floor first.

Is it just the passenger side floor with rust? I hope someone with more heater issue experience will chime in . I guess you could rig a hose to and from the core and run water through it. Good time to do it while the floor is uncovered.

That isssue that @someotherguy documented was definitely a passenger side leak, but it still could be the core. You need to find out sooner rather than later.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to take some of the screws out and get a look at the heater core. That’s the one thing that can be replaced without dropping the dash though it’s easier with the dash out of the way. The rust on the bottom of it (and the previous owner’s handiwork) implies that it was the source.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now is a good time to hose out the evaporator too.

Now that is a really good point. While you are in there go ahead and follow the procedure for cleaning out the evaporator as @east302 mentioned. Even if your AC doesn't work now it will help with airflow through everything and when you do get around to the AC it will be one more thing you don't have to do.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the drill and wire brush out today. Wasn't really as bed once I got a couple of passes with the brush. Looked worse than it was. Sheet metal is very solid. Got it all cleaned up and did 2 coats of POR-15. Should be cured by tomorrow and I can get the new insulation down.