The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
that one says limited slip do they have ones with posi trac that i can install

Posi trac is the same as limited slip

There are a few types of axles out there.

1. Open. This is where there are just spider gears in the differential to allow smooth cornering.

2. Limited slip. (post, trac lock, etc...) This is the most common compromise between performance and road manors. This has clutches in the differential to transfer torque from one wheel to the other to aid with traction.

3. Locker. This is exactly what it sounds like. There is a locking mechanism in the differential that physically locks the two wheels together during straight line driving. It will make an audible "clicking" during cornering when it unlocks to allow differential action to occur.

If you have an open diff now, you could just install a locker. From what I hear it's not very complicated

mike1988

Reaction score
Ok i got ya im kinda new to the whole differential and transmission scene. Im more of an engine and suspension person thats why im here cause i want get info and learn more. thanks for the info.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Posi trac is the same as limited slip

There are a few types of axles out there.

1. Open. This is where there are just spider gears in the differential to allow smooth cornering.

2. Limited slip. (post, trac lock, etc...) This is the most common compromise between performance and road manors. This has clutches in the differential to transfer torque from one wheel to the other to aid with traction.

3. Locker. This is exactly what it sounds like. There is a locking mechanism in the differential that physically locks the two wheels together during straight line driving. It will make an audible "clicking" during cornering when it unlocks to allow differential action to occur.

If you have an open diff now, you could just install a locker. From what I hear it's not very complicated

4. Spool. This turns both wheels at the same speed all the time. Not practical for street use.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 95 k1500 that I recently lifted and am currently running 35's under. It came stock with the 3.42 gears and they recently blew out in my rear which I took as an opportunity to go bigger. Question is, I found a rear and front set with 4.11's and a Detroit locker in the rear with only 4000 miles on em for 850 out of a 94 chevy and was wondering if this is appropriate for the truck/good deal (given the ad is truthful). It's not my daily driver but something I like taking out here and there and def trying to get set up for the woods. Thanks

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
So I have a 95 k1500 that I recently lifted and am currently running 35's under. It came stock with the 3.42 gears and they recently blew out in my rear which I took as an opportunity to go bigger. Question is, I found a rear and front set with 4.11's and a Detroit locker in the rear with only 4000 miles on em for 850 out of a 94 chevy and was wondering if this is appropriate for the truck/good deal (given the ad is truthful). It's not my daily driver but something I like taking out here and there and def trying to get set up for the woods. Thanks

Yeah 4.11's and the detroit locker would be better than what you had, but if you want an even stronger axle you should look into a 14 bolt semi-float swap. If you can find a 6-lug axle it's a very easy swap. All you need is u-bolts and plates, and a conversion u-joint

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright yeah maybe one day when I get some more money, I just wanna get it back up and running while taking some stress off the trans and what not

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok hear is my stupid axle question. I am looking at a 6 inch lift, and running 35's. It is my dd and I drive about 40 miles round trip on the freeway everyday for work. Now from what I have read and researched, even though I woule really like, it just seems like a sas is too much for me. I am not a mechanic instead a body shop tech. How strong is the ifs setups that obs have. It would be a dd most of the time, and some offroading.And deep snow driving when I can. Also a little info on my truck, 97 sierra, 14b sf with posi track and 373 gears. Also does anyone know if the both front tires spin all of the time when in 4x4? As far as rear end is mine good enough, or will I ahve to regear.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
For gears I'd say you're alright...4.10's would be better and 4.56's would be ideal, but the 3.73's will keep the RPM's lower during highway cruising and get you a little better gas mileage. If you're putting on a lift and don't want to be worried about front-end parts breaking then I would go ahead and replace pretty much everything with quality parts while you have it apart for the lift. Also, only crank the torsion bars the least amount possible to cut down on parts wear