The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were to find a 14b 6 lug and swap it in to my 95 K1500. Could I just get new axle shafts later when I do a SAS to get the 8 lug to match? Is there any difference in the 6 lug style 14b and the 8 lug, other than the obvious lug pattern?

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
If I were to find a 14b 6 lug and swap it in to my 95 K1500. Could I just get new axle shafts later when I do a SAS to get the 8 lug to match? Is there any difference in the 6 lug style 14b and the 8 lug, other than the obvious lug pattern?

yes you could all you need is the semi float 8 lug axle shafts and the drums

bogginblazer

Reaction score
ok i got one.......... you ready kinda need help

1991 chevy K1500

i found an article online from peterson off road

they did a 6in lift to a 98 or so k 1500. then they went on to say in the article they you could use axles from a 3500 of the same year.

does any one know if this is also true of the 1991 k 1500 also? im talking about front axles btw

please help

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
ok i got one.......... you ready kinda need help

1991 chevy K1500

i found an article online from peterson off road

they did a 6in lift to a 98 or so k 1500. then they went on to say in the article they you could use axles from a 3500 of the same year.

does any one know if this is also true of the 1991 k 1500 also? im talking about front axles btw

please help

the front diff(8.25 ifs vs 9.25 ifs) mounts differently, i know one guy who claimed to mount the 8 lug control arms on out onto a 1500 but from what i understand the 8.25 ifs suspension is mounted differently and you cannot just put 8 lug 9.25 ifs suspension in it's place

bogginblazer

Reaction score
well thank you for the info i would not try and go they far to give me 15 more mins on the trail. for a total of 45 min be for i break an axle lol.

welp looks like i need to buy 4 axles this time out

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is the 3/4ton front axle shafts then I have seen adaptors for use with the 1/2ton ifs diff. The only kicker is you need a knuckle lift that uses spacers for the front axle shafts.

Pronk

Reaction score
How can I figure out if I have semi-floating or full-floating rear axles?
And if I have a full-floating axle do I really have to pull the hub off just to get the brake drum off?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
How can I figure out if I have semi-floating or full-floating rear axles?
And if I have a full-floating axle do I really have to pull the hub off just to get the brake drum off?

look at your wheel hubs, a full float has hubs that stick out in the middle of the rim, it will have 8 bolts holding the axle shaft on the end of the hub

this is a 10.5 ff rear and yes the hub must come off

You must be registered for see images