OBD1 ABS Scan/bleed protocol analysis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdone

Reaction score
Ok, so I know there are a million threads on a dozen forums asking about which scanners might work with OBD1/ALDL ABS such as my lovely EBC4 I've grown to loathe in the past 2 weeks. I'm not trying to re-hash those threads here.

Rather, in my day job I'm a bit of a tech nerd and do some reasonably low-level stuff reading EEPROMS and playing with various tech toys. It seems like making something that can talk the same protocol as our ABS units shouldn't be hard, but the right people with the right tools and skills haven't been sufficiently motivated.

i've been reading way more than I should (given how much else I have going on) and found a lot of info on the general ALDL 8192 baud protocol for talking to ECMs, but nothing specifically for ABS.

First question - is anyone aware of any work in this area that could serve as a starting point?

Second, does anyone have a Tech 1 or other scanner confirmed to work with the older ABS units? If I were able to build a simple in-line data logger, would you be willing to plug it in and run through the basic ABS commands? Read codes, cycle pump, clear codes? From there it should be reasonaby trivial to re-implement just the ABS functions into a simple software program or maybe a dongle powered by Arduino or RasPi with a small LCD.

If I were able to concoct such a device, would there be interest? Not looking to make a bunch of money on it, I'd probably try to keep the hardware BOM in the $50-$100 range.

Thoughts?