The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I found 4.10 gears for the front and back.

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have a 14b sf with 373's and got a extra rear end cover from someone on here..is there any way that i could put in a drain plug into it? If so what would be the best way about doing it.

Sent from fiberglass covered Galaxy S3

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I currently have a 14b sf with 373's and got a extra rear end cover from someone on here..is there any way that i could put in a drain plug into it? If so what would be the best way about doing it.

Sent from fiberglass covered Galaxy S3

if you have a welder its easy to do, just a matter of a pipe thread bung and plug, or a short section of pipe welded onto the cover with a cap on the end

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I'm positive this has been asked before but I've got like, 2 minutes to be on here. How much fluid does a stock, open, 14 bolt semi-floater take?

Thanks

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
stupid question.....ive found several 14 bolt sf 8 lug axles around. havent came across any 6 lug. could you take the shafts out of a 10 bolt and put them in a 14 bolt sf? i dont know the specs on those things as far as diameter and lenth and spline count.

STEBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright, got a question that i havnt seen asked nor any info on the net... and im assuming i already know the answer, just double checking...

the other day i went wheeling with our local club, and we ended up goin up some trails that were covered by bout 2 ft of snow... between my low ground clearence and open diffs (aswell as a puny v6) mine just kept gettin stuck... well im planning a SAS, still gathering parts so its gna be a while, but to save my embarresment on the next wheeling trip i thot about locking the diffs (i dont really want to dump alota time or money into drivtrain or suspension since im going to a SA) i thought about lincoln locking the front as i used to do when i had my 73-87 trucks with manual hubs since it would be a cheap easy fix to my traction problem...

has any1 welded the front diff before... im thinking it wont work becuase the cv turns the stub shaft on both sides whether in 4x4 or 2x4, and if its locked, ill be locked in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, basicly not a smart move for driving on the street... am i correct?

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
stupid question.....ive found several 14 bolt sf 8 lug axles around. havent came across any 6 lug. could you take the shafts out of a 10 bolt and put them in a 14 bolt sf? i dont know the specs on those things as far as diameter and lenth and spline count.

No. Even if everything else will work (and I seriously doubt it would), I know for fact the brakes won't fit.

alright, got a question that i havnt seen asked nor any info on the net... and im assuming i already know the answer, just double checking...

the other day i went wheeling with our local club, and we ended up goin up some trails that were covered by bout 2 ft of snow... between my low ground clearence and open diffs (aswell as a puny v6) mine just kept gettin stuck... well im planning a SAS, still gathering parts so its gna be a while, but to save my embarresment on the next wheeling trip i thot about locking the diffs (i dont really want to dump alota time or money into drivtrain or suspension since im going to a SA) i thought about lincoln locking the front as i used to do when i had my 73-87 trucks with manual hubs since it would be a cheap easy fix to my traction problem...

has any1 welded the front diff before... im thinking it wont work becuase the cv turns the stub shaft on both sides whether in 4x4 or 2x4, and if its locked, ill be locked in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, basicly not a smart move for driving on the street... am i correct?

If you street drive the truck... don't do it. You COULD almost get away with it in the back (provided you make all large sweeping turns)... but you'd break stuff up front in NO time.