The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, after skimming this thread I'm still not sure if A) if I can swap 5 lug axles into a 14 bolt 2wd rear end from a dually, and B) if I can't, which 14 bolt I should be looking for?
Going under a square burb. Any help is appreciated.

motovate

Reaction score
The spring perch widths are different. Look for a 1 ton, they have the same perch width. Shock mounts most likely need to be changed, i haven't messed with a 67-72 so don't know. I the hoses are prolly metric, parts store website would tell you what they are. Does your front axle has discs? If so then don't have to change a thing, the calipers will bolt on to the 10 bolt.
Thanks - the 71 has front discs - I'm pretty sure it is called a big hub Dana 44 and the 89 Sub V2500 also has Discs. ( Rear end on the 71 is a 14 bolt but I'm pretty sure it is "Not" a floating axle - probably a simi floating axle. It has caps in the center of the wheels so I can't see it with pulling a wheel & I pretty sure the Sub 14 bolt is also a simifloter also) So if I use the 10 bolt on front I can just leave the calipers connected and then just bolt them to the 89 Disc front end - correct?? I did find a couple of place that had sae to metric & vice versa adapters so that may bot be a big issue.

I'm just going to have to drag out the Sub and do some looking and measuring. I was concerned the distance between the perches were different or the over all length between the rear brake mounting plates was difference. and I had not even thought about the width of the pearches. Probably 15+ years ago I lifted the 71 with 4" taller leaf springs. I specified it was a K20 ( 3/4T) and never thought they might have sent me lighter springs - until I decided to started hauling water and it squatted pretty good. They bolted right up and I don't remember or didn't notice there might have been a difference in perch width. So I guess it is possible a narrower perch on the sub axle might not be an issue.

Thanks for the info.

motovate

Reaction score
I thought I had ask this same question somewhere before and just realized it was here. This project is consistently shuffled to the rear of the pack. It has come to the front because I have to switch out the torque converter. I found out I had big time slop in the rear end - it is getting worked on again - so maybe I can get it all done this time.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any way to tell the gear ratio on a 14 bolt full floater DRW axle without removing the cover is the RPO code decal is gone?
Does it have a G80? Jack up the rear, mark and count the number of driveshaft to wheel revolutions.

When I did my truck this to my, I had to chock one tire (it has the G80.)

Reaction score
So I am building a 1990 OBS 2wd. Putting 1 6.0 and AR5 into it. I have a 2001 Tahoe that I am stripping for parts. Will the rear backing plates and caliper swap over the the GMT400 axle. The 2001 is a 2wd as well. I want to keep the 5x5 axles for my wheel set up.

Ugly Duck

Reaction score
New Chevy guy here: I can't read thru 73 pages but a quick search of the forum suggested that Chevy never installed a 9.5" limited slip diff in trucks, just the G80? If I got that wrong, what JY options have I got for replacing my possibly-smoked, possibly-removed G80 with an LSD, without actually changing axles? I know most guys are interested in swapping axles from a newer truck to get disc brakes, I'm not interested in that at this point in time, so I just want to R&R the center section. 3.73 gears in a '98 K1500, if that matters to anyone.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
New Chevy guy here: I can't read thru 73 pages but a quick search of the forum suggested that Chevy never installed a 9.5" limited slip diff in trucks, just the G80?
Not sure where that information came from, GM did put a 9.5" 14 bolt 6 lug rear ends in these trucks. 2500LD 2wd's and 4wd's came with them, and K1500's with F44 package (it will be in the RPO codes listed as F44). (Difference between the 2wd and 4wd diff is the 2wd is a few inches narrower). They could've been optioned with or without G80, however most that I have encountered are usually 3.73s w/ G80, but always check the RPO codes to see if it has the necessary parts for your truck.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure where that information came from, GM did put a 9.5" 14 bolt 6 lug rear ends in these trucks. 2500LD 2wd's and 4wd's came with them, and K1500's with F44 package (it will be in the RPO codes listed as F44). (Difference between the 2wd and 4wd diff is the 2wd is a few inches narrower). They could've been optioned with or without G80, however most that I have encountered are usually 3.73s w/ G80, but always check the RPO codes to see if it has the necessary parts for your truck.
I think he's saying on the 9.5" axle:

Only G80 option was offered
LSD was never offered

At least that's what I understood.