The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so if I swap my 10 bolt for a 14 bolt with 3:73 gears from a suburban, would I also be able to swap the front IFS diff for a suburban IFS with 3:73?

That way I could avoid having to swap the gears myself, seems it would be easier and much cheaper.

Last edited:

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a project that turned complicated. 88 Chevy k1500 that had "work" done and an engine swap. Husband crawled under to find o2 sensor (still can't find that) and found a line that is loose with no apparent spot it should connect to and no idea where it came from. It's under the drivetrain. The truck works ok, lights, heater, brakes, 4wd, etc. Rough idle but working on that next. Any idea what this is/should connect to?

He can't find an O2 sensor? Look at the front of the exhaust, should be right near where the exhaust tube meets the manifold

Trace that hose back and see where it originates.

Ok, so if I swap my 10 bolt for a 14 bolt with 3:73 gears from a suburban, would I also be able to swap the front IFS diff for a suburban IFS with 3:73?

That way I could avoid having to swap the gears myself, seems it would be easier and much cheaper.

Yea the diffs are the same, as long as the Suburban is also a 1/2 ton

Last edited:

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting question, will an 8 lug front wheel hub from a 4x4 suburban go on 1500 CV axles?

Only asking because then I could get a 14 bolt FF and match the lug pattern.

Facial89

Reaction score
I put a axel from a 02 in my 99 tahoe can anyone tell me what proportion valve I need so my breaks don't drag?

ellessroy

Reaction score
found a 14b 6 lug to swap out for my 10bolt. stupid question but did 6 lug 14bolts have gearing other than 3.42?
I would love to find a 14blt 6 lug with 3:42s. Exactly what my 89k1500 needs. What donor vehicle did you get that from so I can find one and get both front and rear diffs?

Doba78

Reaction score
1996 suburban 2500 4x4 14 bolt rear end swapped into a 1997 tahoe 4 door 4x4. ready to install drive shaft. tahoe u-joint looks to be a match to the 14 bolt. my question is the strap #? the tahoe strap is just a little too wide (bolt holes don't line up) and not deep enough, tried to google it but too many options came up. anybody know?

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I’m wanting to convert my CCLB SRW to DRW. A buddy of mine has a 93 C3500 with supposedly a DRW rear in it. He sent me the pics below, and claims that the truck is NOT a cab and chassis frame. From the numbers he took a pic of, I found that this is a Dana 70. I guess those came in the earlier GMT400s? Of course there’s no RPO codes left, so I can’t figure out what the ratio is (I need a 4.10) Would there be any reason (other than different ratio) that this wouldn’t work on my 2000 C3500 if the spring mounts measure the same? Any pros and cons of the Dana 70?
You must be registered for see images attach

Kiko_Jones

Reaction score
My mechanic is telling me I need to consider rebuilding the Diff on my 1996 GMC 1500 W/T. The options are rebuild or replace with good used.
If I were to go with the replacement, what years are compatible? Cause I can swap a rear end and save the labor.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
My mechanic is telling me I need to consider rebuilding the Diff on my 1996 GMC 1500 W/T. The options are rebuild or replace with good used.
If I were to go with the replacement, what years are compatible? Cause I can swap a rear end and save the labor.

Need to know more about the truck. 10 bolt? 2wd? I assume both of these since its a W/T truck. as far as compatible almost any between 88-98 not much changed back there besides some G80s and gears. If you have time on your side and you have a 3.42 rear you could upgrade to a 3.73 rather cheaply

Kiko_Jones

Reaction score
Need to know more about the truck. 10 bolt? 2wd? I assume both of these since its a W/T truck. as far as compatible almost any between 88-98 not much changed back there besides some G80s and gears. If you have time on your side and you have a 3.42 rear you could upgrade to a 3.73 rather cheaply

Thank you for the quick reply. It's a 2wd with a 10 bolt with a 4.3 V6
Can you talk to me more about the 3.73 upgrade? I'm planning on a 4/6 drop. I use it to drive to the Home Depot for Mulch and other non-sense.

Last edited: